Monday, January 31, 2011

Better days...

So the past few days have been a lot better. Mom has been more alert and has been getting around pretty good. When the aide came to help mom last week, she noticed mom has a sore on her tail bone. She said it was from sitting in the same position for too long. ...(up until the last while, she was pretty hard to move around very much...did good getting her to the bathroom and bed.) But since she has been a little perkier, Camille and I decided we would try to get her to move around a little bit more. We have wanted to have her sitting with us at the dinner table but that would require tackling the stairs. She had not been upstairs since she got here and I know she gets awful bored looking at the same old scenery all day long.
Anyway, we decided to try to get her up the stairs. She did really good! With Camille on one side and mom holding to the banister, she was up them in no time! (I was behind her making sure she didn't fall back)
I was worried about her being able to sit at the kitchen table...the chairs are tall! But she slid right on to one with no trouble and just let her legs dangle. It was actually pretty slick cause she didn't have to raise up to get off of it...just slide off. It was nice to have her eat dinner with us.
Well the next day, we decided to even get more adventurous! It was a pretty sunny day so I thought it would do her some good to get out. I asked her if she would like to go get a hamburger at Wendy's. She said "sure! I'm buying!" So Camille and I got her up the stairs again and out the front door. Then out to the car. She got ahold of the handle above the door and Camille and I got behind her and pushed (lifted) her onto the seat. Whew!
We loaded up Olivia and Sam and were on our way. We got some lunch and drove to the park to sit and eat. Olivia wanted to go swing and run around for a minute (it was cold!) then we headed home. It did us all good to get out and I could tell it lifted mom's spirits.
We have been having her come upstairs and eat dinner with us more and that's been nice. Candice came over yesterday and spent the night here. She is so sweet with mom (even though mom sometimes doesn't recognize her with her different hair colors..."and who are you????") and always is a big help when she is here.
So far, I think things are going pretty well. Mom brings such a sweet spirit into our home. She is always so grateful for everything. Every night when I tuck her into bed, she says "thank you so much for everything you do for me!"
Kelley just built a nice fire and I think mom has said at least 5 times how much she enjoys the fire...."it just couldn't get any better than this!" She is always so grateful for the simplest things....a tomato sandwhich, a soft bed, Lizzy laying by her feet, keeping her company and being able to wake up and see daddy's picture right by her bed.
I'm so glad she is here. Even though it is challenging at times, and I am usually pooped by the end of the day, I feel like our family has been blessed and is learning much from her example of faith, cheerful positive attitude. and enduring to the end.
Next adventure...church next Sunday!

2 comments:

stacey said...

wowsers...I'm impressed! Maybe it's you that she's needed all along! Your an angel!

Angie said...

I am so glad its getting a bit better! I hope it works out that she can go to church with you. She hasn't been there for soooooooooo long! Thanks for being so great and taking all of this on! Your awesome! love ya