Thursday, January 27, 2011

How can you not have a happy day when you have this face smiling at you?
It felt good to go burn off some energy at racquetball. I got mom up and going before I left, then Camille and Olivia took over.
Mom was getting around pretty good in the morning but later in the day seemed kind of sad....not really sure what it was. The hospice aide was wanting to come over but said she couldn't come till about 10:30 or 11:00. I told her that really wouldn't be a help to me because mom was already up and ready for the day by then. I told them I would need someone to come by about 8:30 to help with her shower. So later a girl named Rebecca called and said she could come at 8:30. I was kind of worried about how mom would handle someone new helping out.
Well anyway, back to yesterday... I haven't been to my class for a while...Brother Wilcox has been gone since december when his wife passed away....I like the guy he has standing in for him...he reminds me of the "inconceivable" guy on the princess bride.
He taught a real good lesson today from Joshua about keeping a journal.
I so appreciate Camille insisting that I go and taking care of things here so I could do it!



We just spent a nice evening by the fire watching the Jazz game.


I didn't sleep very well last night...woke up about two and couldn't go back to sleep. I read for a while, then about 4:30 started dozing off.
I got up about 8:00 and went down to see if mom was awake. She was just waking up. I thought I had better warn her that this new aide was coming over. She didn't think that was a good idea at all. She said she could get in the shower fine by herself. I sure understand her not wanting some stranger to come in and give her a shower! I told her that it would be just like when the home health care ladies would come in and help her at her house. She still was not having it, but before she could put up too big of a fuss, there was a knock at the door.
I went and let Rebecca in and instantly liked her. She was probably about 30 and going to nursing school. She introduced herself to mom and told her that she was just here to help out. She asked mom if she could use some help getting in the shower and she said "oh no...I can do it myself." hmmmmmm. not so much.
So Rebecca said she would just help a little bit if mom needed her. Amazingly, mom got up and started undressing herself. Rebecca was great and let her do as much as she could, then stepped in and helped her finish undressing and get in the shower.
I just kind of stood back and let her do her thing...she was great with mom.
After her shower, she rubbed her down good with lotion and even massaged her back for a few minutes. She helped her dress, then blow dry her hair and curled it. She did a great job! She trimmed up a few wild hairs and put a little lotion on her face. Then she helped her stand up in front of the mirror so she could see how pretty she looked.
Then she helped her get into the family room and went and made her bed. I was like 'Oh you don't have to do that and she said 'Oh that's just what I do!' She tidied up the bathroom and put away everything she had used. When she was ready to go, she came and gave mom a hug and told her thank you for letting her come see her today. Then she asked mom if it would be ok if she came back again. Mom said "sure!"
She was seriously like an angel from heaven.
The ladies that do this job are amazing!





2 comments:

stacey said...

so happy you've got you some help!!! Your Mom is so lucky to have you!

Angie said...

He is just too cute! I am so glad there is a good care giver that comes. That makes all the difference believe me! I am glad you asked for help and your able to get out here and there. love you