Sunday, July 11, 2010

please work ...please work

I realize that every other 50 year old woman goes through this, but I if you could bear with me for a minute, I'm going to tell you how I feel about menopause.
It stinks.
I started having symptoms about eight or nine months ago where I would wake up in the night just totally drenched with sweat. Kelley would reach over and touch me and be like eewwwwww. It didn't happen very often, mostly just before my period.
My emotions were pretty much out of control around this same time too. Things that normally wouldn't even bother me, would have me in tears or in a rage. And sacrament meeting...well I'm sure all the people that sit around me think I am a total basket case. (mostly every song, even instrumentals, watching the boys pass the sacrament, and many of the talks would bring me to tears.) I couldn't get through a YW lesson without at least one melt down.
I would lay awake at night working myself into a tizzy over things I have no control over, then feel like crap the next day because I didn't sleep all night.
Well over the past several months, this has increased about 150 percent. And to add to the fun, now I am having full blown hot flashes during the day!
I rememeber when I worked at the flower shop, Karen was going through this same thing. She would break out in a sweat and grab for anything around to fan herself with. I would think..."man she must be old...that will never happen to me!"
The hot flashes started out really random...maybe like one every few days, but slowly increased to now where I am having one about every hour...day and night!
I broke out in a pretty good one at the temple yesterday while we were doing sealings. As the sweat started collecting on my chin , I looked around, hoping no one would notice my bright red face and thought "ok most of these ladies are older than me and must have gone through this same thing.... they are still alive and seem quite pleasant and content, so I guess I can get through it too."
Had a pretty rough night last night. I would wake up every hour...pretty much on the hour,...look over at the clock, sigh, sit up and cool myself off in the fan, then flop back down and try to go back to sleep...Many thanks to my dear husband who set up two fans in the bedroom to try to make me comfortable. This is really a big adjustment for me....normally I would be huddled under at least two blankets and the sheet with my woolie jammies on, snuggling up to Kelley, putting my ice cold feet on him to warm them up. That is a thing of the past...now I am all sprawled out on the bare bed, (sheet only) in just my undies. Don't touch me... I'm hot!!!!!!!!!!
About a month ago, I heard on the radio about this magical pill that is supposed to relieve the symptoms of menopause...I thought it was probably just another scam, but decided to check it out online. It sounded pretty good but was quite expensive. Kelley had heard the ad on the radio too and when I told him I had looked into it, he was all about it. "I don't care what it costs...just send for it!!" Wow- these are the words of a desperate husband.
I have been taking it for 3 days now, and can't tell any difference yet. They said I should see some improvment in about a week....I'll keep you posted...until then, please stand by with fans. thank you.

3 comments:

kat said...

Mom, you are hilarious and I'm sorry I'm missing this so we could laugh (or cry) together! love you

lessdirtydirt said...

I will continue fanning you with piano books or whatever is nearby.

Angie said...

wow what an exciting thing to look forward to! I am glad Kelley is being so nice. You totally described my moms way of sleeping. My dad would be the one saying I am hot! Good luck:)