Thursday, October 29, 2009

Coulda done without that...

It has been a week since my visit to the dentist, so I went back in to have him see how everything was going....and also to try to do something about the numbness I still have in my lip and chin.
I figured...How bad could it be? I have already been to the threshold of hell and back. I know there are lots of things that are much worse than this, but I'm having a hard time thinking of any of them right now.
Well he took some more x-rays and poked around in there asking me if I could feel this or feel that while he tapped on different places in my mouth. I couldn't feel much of anything so he said he was going to loosen the screw thing a little bit to see if that would let the pressure off the nerve that was making me numb.
So he gets out his screw driver and tries to loosen the screw. Well it had started bonding with my bone, so it wasn't that easy to do. But when he finally turned it, I about went through the roof. It was like that nerve was screaming at me..".I am still here and I am ready to do my job of showing you all the pain you have been missing this past week!" I think Dr. L. got the message when I gasped and my eyes about popped out of my head.
He said, "You know, I think I had better just take this implant out and let this heal up for a while, then we will try it again. So he took it all the way out. I just can't explain what that felt like except possibly getting a tooth pulled without any anesthesia. By now the tears were running into my ears. He said "I'm going to have to put a few stitches in this. I knew I could not handle that and tried to protest with all the tubes and suction things in my mouth. He said "Ill numb this up a little bit, I don't want to hurt you!" Ha! That was super thoughtful of him! So he deadened my mouth and sewed the hole shut that he had taken the screw out of.
I was still pretty concerned because my lip and part of my chin were still numb. So I asked him when the feeling would come back. He said he thought that with the pressure relieved, it should start feeling better. I said " You think so?" And he said "Well, I have never had this happen before, but I remember talking about it in dentistry school and that is what usually happens.
It seemed so funny to me that I should have this one more stupid thing happen to me where he had never had it happen to anyone else, I just started laughing. He looked at me like I was crazy and said "do you feel ok?" Then I burst into tears and wailed " I feel like crying!"
Just the thought of never regaining the feeling in my face again pushed me over the edge. He exchanged worried looks with his assistant and they asked me if I needed to sit down for a minute. Super Embarrassing! I sat there and bawled for a minute while he kept handing me Kleenex and tried to reassure me that everything was going to be ok and that he was sure sorry if he had hurt me. I finally pulled myself together and tried to make my way out of his office as inconspicuously as possible ( didn't want to scare the youngsters in the waiting room). I'm pretty sure that everyone in the office had heard me and were watching me with a look of "good luck with that, psycho lady" on their faces.
I came home and took the last 4 ibuprofen in the bottle. Just realized that Kelley and I have gone through a whole bottle in one week. He has been having a lot of pain in his elbow since he cut firewood last Saturday. It's all swollen and squishy but he won't go to the doctor. dang that man...he's so much like my dad!
My mouth is a little bit less numb, but not much. Dr. L. called a while ago to see how I was feeling. ("Are you ok???) He said they had all been concerned about me after I left and that he was asking his assistant what she thought had upset me. She said "well duh....you hurt her!' He apologized and said he had to take out the screw while I could still feel it so I could tell him when I started getting feeling back. I guess that made sense. I told him, it wasn't really the pain, but just the fact that I had to start all over again with the implant process and go without any tooth there for a long time and mostly that I was still numb! He said he was sorry I had to go through this, but reassured me that it would all work out and I would be happy with it in the end. Right now it's hard to picture what that will be like, feels like there is no end in sight.
My family is funny! When I told them what had happened, they were all about suing his butt! Kelley wanted to punch him in the face first, (I pity the fool that hurts his wife) then sue him. I don't think that will be necessary, but thanks for taking care of me!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Can I just say you need a new dentist! I dont think I like this guy at all! I had the same kind of experience with my ingrown toenails. I actually had a nurse come in and tell me to keep it down because I was scaring the patients!!! I wanted to punch her in the face. I really really hope it gets better because mouth pain is at the top of the awful list!

stacey said...

OHHHH my heck girl! I came down yesterday and you were probably curled up in a ball on your bed....I would have been.I wouldn't have come to the door either! I'm so sorry it's been pure hell! OUCH! I'm all about punching the dude for ya...you know me...always a little agression to get rid of.....does he have a license...are you his guiney pig? hang in there...hope it feels better soon! Love ya!~