Friday, October 23, 2009

This was the day I had been dreading. Last time my bridge came loose, Dr. Lucero said, I'm afraid this just isn't going to hold up any longer. You need to get the implants done. So we started with step 1.
It was pretty horrible...I have to say, and I have never been so grateful for the nitrous oxide. They had to pull out the tooth that had broken which was a treat, then drilled what looks like two big screws into the place, so that they could someday (4-6 months) put a tooth on top of that.
I'm pretty sure that Dr. Lucero wants to go hide in his back room when he sees me coming. It is never just a quick trip to the dentist...fix it up, and you're on your way. It seems like something always complicates things (ok, I have bad teeth, but seriously, the things I have been through would make a masachist cry!) If I would have known I was going to have to do this, I wouldn't have gone through all the pain and expense of having the endodondist try to fix this tooth first!
Anyway, I think he had geared himself up for my visit because he was all positive and "this is going to go just great!" and "I'm not worried about it at all" but as he was trying to pry that tooth out, and I could see the beads of sweat forming on his forehead. He took about 10 xrays of the spot ( I'm sure to get a tumor or something from all the xrays I've had) and tried to explain to me what was going on. It was seriously like in the movies when someone is all drugged up and the person talking to them sounds like they are in slow motion in this really deep voice. The nitrous oxide had sent me to a state of euphoric tingliness...maybe a little too much. He was telling me that it looked like the screw thing was pretty close to a nerve, so we were going to have to watch and see if stays numb. Then he said something to the nurse and they both laughed this scary nightmare low voice laugh.. HA HA HA. OK, time to turn off the gas.
He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and also some Loritab's. I stopped into walmart on the way home to get them filled and by the time I got home, it was hurting pretty bad. I didn't want to take the Loritab because I remember them making me sick before, but it was really hurting, so I ate, then took one pill.
I was trying to get our last batch of green salsa done, standing there chopping peppers and tomatillos, when suddenly I felt like I was going to throw up. I broke out in this sweat and had to go sit with my head between my legs to keep from passing out. Just then there was a knock at the door. It was Merrilee. She had asked me earlier if I would help her make a little blanket for this little cradle she was going to give to Hannah for her birthday. As soon as she saw me, she knew I was sick. She was a sweetheart and came in and got me some crackers and helped me lie down. I just laid there all afternoon...couldn't sleep cause it still hurt so bad, couldn't get up for fear of puking. Stupid Loritabs. Merrilee came back over a while later and brought me some nice warm chicken noodle soup. She is a good friend!
Dr. Lucero called later to see how I was doing...NOT SO GOOD! He said he would call in something to help with the nausea and to keep taking the pain pills, but I won't take another Loritab! (note to self...never take Loritab) I tried Ibuprofin and that took the edge off the pain, so I will stick with that. Kelley came home and tried to do anything he could do to make me feel better. His big hugs and sense of humor always make me feel better!
I had told Andrea that I would play the piano for the opening and closing songs for this big Stake meeting at 7:00. ( I didn't think this was going to be so bad...should have known better) I was racking my brains to think of anyone who would be there that could play the piano, but came up blank. So I pulled myself together and went to it. I probably would have done better to stay home though because my head seemed to still be quite detached from my body (how many ibuprofin can you take at one time?) and couldn't play worth a hoot.
I woke up this morning drooling with a numb lip and chin. Great! So he must have hit that nerve he was talking about. Like I said. It can't just be easy and all work out. ( I usually try to be optomistic, but have given up on that as far as the dental work goes long ago) I called Dr, Lucero and he said I will have have to come back in so he can take out that one screw that was hitting the nerve and wait a few weeks for it to heal, then put it back in. Sounds fun!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Oh my gosh after reading this horrible nightmare you call a dentist appointment I am never going again! I think I will just let my teeth rot out of my head first. I am so sorry you had to deal with that. I will keep you in my prayers to get better.love you

kat said...

I'm so sorry mom. You really have had such bad tooth luck! I'm glad Merrilee was there-I miss her. Dad really is your knight in shinning armor...you guys are both so lucky and I'm lucky to be your daughter! xoxo

stacey said...

ohhh...i'm such a sucky friend! I'm so sorry it was so awful! Hope you feel better soon!