Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sweet Email



I mean that in several different ways. First of all how awesome is it to be able to communicate with my son EVERY WEEK! It makes me feel like he is not out of my reach, although he is on the other side of the world.
When we were on our trip, we were able to receive his email and to send him an email from the ship. This was his last few days in the MTC, and I knew he was feeling nervous , but also really excited about getting out into the mission field. His email was kind of frustrating because he had typed a good letter, telling us about everything he had been going through, but then when he tried to attach some pictures to it, he lost all the typing. So he just wrote a few lines, then his time was up on the computer.
So then when we were in France, we were hoping to be able to hear from him because that was the day he was going to fly to Moscow. We had figured the time he would be going to the airport( about 8:00 am) and knew if he was going to call, it would be around 4:00 in the afternoon for us there.( It still makes my brain hurt when I try to comprehend the time difference thing). We had been walking around this most beautiful port in Nice with lots of boats and cute little shops and fancy pastries but my mind was not really there. I had been hoping that he would be able to get through to Kelley's phone because he had changed to an international calling plan just for this purpose, but I wasn't counting on it...just seemed kind of impossible to me that he could call from the phone booth in the airport and get through to us soooooo far away... I mean how many quarters do you put in to call to France?
We were walking around looking at these amazing fishing boats...(Kelley was in heaven,) and his phone rang. Kelley said hello and I could see his face light up. He talked to him for just a minute then handed the phone to me. I think he could see I was feeling pretty anxious to talk to him (understatement of the year) It was so good to hear his voice! He sounded excited, but pretty nervous about what he was about to do. (Just the flight there would freak me out...15 hours! I was at my wits end at 11 hours to Rome) He was pretty emotional too. I was trying to not let him know I was bawling and tried to be encouraging and positive, but I think he knows me too well. In the end, he ended up reassuring ME that he was going to be fine and everything was great! Then Kelley talked to him again for a few minutes (pretty tough for him too) and we both told him goodbye. I can see the wisdom in not going to the airport to see them off. It was hard enough to say goodbye again over the phone.

This was where we were when K.C. called.
Anyway, we got an email from him the next day saying that he had gotten there, Russia was awesome and he was still alive. Super! . He had had more trouble with the computer and had lost his email he had written. So we held onto those few words. We got a real nice email from His mission president and his wife. They said K.C. was doing well and they were there to help out if we had any questions or worries.
We have gotten an email every Wednesday since then. (they usually come about 3:00 in the morning...don't even ask how I know)
It is so great to be able to tell him on Tuesday what has been going on here, what we are thinking and feeling right then, and to know that he can read that and reply to us what is going on with him,, what he is thinking and feeling right then, all within a 12 hour period...not weeks later like the regular mail system. Just kind of makes that great expanse between us seem a little bit smaller.
Then there's his email... SWEET!
Re: great week!‏
From:
Kelley Jensen (kcjensen@myldsmail.net)
Sent:
Wed 10/28/09 6:35 AM
To:
pjdaisy50@hotmail.comHey guys,
Sorry about last week, I realized that I havent really communicated home very well and that you guys have no idea what I do all day so I am going to tell you.
Of course I wake up at 6:30 and then I usually sit on my bed( the couch) and pretend to be awake for a few minutes until my companion is done in the bathroom and then i do some pushups and then we eat usualy some sort of grain for breakfast like gits or oatmeal or some Russian grain that i cant explain. then we study and then go out and talk to people on the street on our way to meetings or what ever. we ride the train a lot because our area is big so I spend a lot of time on the train. and thats about it. we meet with members a lot. and the feed us lots of cakes and cookies and tea and stuff like that. ITs not bad at all. We had a really awesom meeting On thursday, we met this guy contacting and he said he had a picture of Chirst, some how, it was interesting but i didnt think much of it. But he called last week while we emailed and wanted to meet with us and get a Book of Mormon. So we met the next day. When we went in his wife was there too and they were so welcoming, usually people are nice but I felt unusally welcome. We got talking and they were so ready to recieve the gospel. The spirit was so strong, we talked about prophets and helped answer a few questions and then we talktestified about the Book of Mormon and told them to pray to recieve an answer and he said he already knew it was true. The spirit was incredible. Man! I cant even explain it, but it gives me strength to talk to people because you never know who is searching for answers. pray for them please their names are Boris and Galina. I bought some warm stuff and some day I will send some pictures home, sorry about that. The weather here is pretty crappy, rains everyday. But it hasnt snowed yet, its just wet all the time out side. but ITs not so bad, I love Russia. ITs just a litte different. Things are great with my companion, I think I sent the wrong message about him, we get along fine. I cant believe ive already been here for a month! I have seriously learned so much, Its hard to explain how ive changed, but youll see in a couple years. We had a Haloweeen party today, it was as fun, we just talked and ate. mom sory about your teeth, hope they feel better soon. im going to send this so it gets to you for sure. love you
Sorry about the 2 emails, im kinda paranoid. something came up in russian and I didnt know what it said so i thought i should just send it just in case. I am happy here, This transfer has gone by so fast only 2 more weeks, I hope I have learned everything I need to from Elder Nikolaichev, ive learned a lot. Glad to hear that Blair's farewell went well, tell him good luck for me if you see him again. Mom I think you should try borsh again, Ive had it a couple times hear and it was way good. any way love you guys.
ELder jensen

1 comment:

Angie said...

I cant believe how easy it is to talk to people on missions now. We had to wait forever for letters from the boys! I will agree its very hard to have to say goodbye at the airport! We did that with Mark and then learned our lesson so Phil was on his own. Glad he called and you were able to talk to him.