Friday, September 4, 2009




Yesterday Kelley got off work a little early and because we wanted to go fishing. We went out to meet Dan and Brenda and rode up to Strawberry with them.
I was so glad that Brenda came with us. It was nice to be able to visit with her and catch up on each other's lives.
When we got there, Kelley and Dan needed to do some repair work on the boat. Last time Dan was up there he had a little accident (ran into the dock with the trolling motor) so they were trying to repair that. It was pretty windy so Brenda and I were glad we could be inside the boat while they worked on it. I don't think they had a lot of success, but were planning on bringing it home next week so they can do some work on it.
We didn't have much luck fishing ...in fact there was only one good bite. We had just stopped in a new spot and were getting our lines out. Kelley already had a pole in the water and Dan and I were getting our's ready. Dan had a new secret weapon in the orange garlic cheese, so he was baiting his up and saw Kelley's pole wiggle. So he said "you guys better try some of this cheese.. (now he wants to share?) I asked Kelley if he would put some on my hook cause it was reeeely stinky and I didn't want to touch it. So Kelley comes over to help me and Dan grabs Kelley's pole and reels in a great big trout. From then on it was all out war.
We have sure had a lot of fun at Strawberry this summer.
We've spent many happy hours up there ...sometimes catching fish, sometimes not.
Enjoying the beauty and wonder of the Lake and surrounding mountains.
Laughing my head off at the things Dan does.
Listening to the sounds and watching all the different birds there are up there.
Watching K.C. fish.
Enjoying the peace and stillness in the evening hours.
Being able to see the excitment in Olivia's face as she drove the boat and held her own fishing pole.
Searching for, and sometimes finding the "Perfect Spot" where the fish are plentiful and hungry. The feeling of getting a good bite on your line, actually hooking it, and bringing in a fish!
Then watching it swim away again after we get it unhooked.(When I say we I mean Kelley or Dan unhooking the fish...I am just afraid I will make things worse for the poor fish if I try to reach in his mouth with those plyers...maybe next year that will be my goal...to unhook my own fish. I did get the hang of baiting my own lure...don't mind the worms or smelly cheese, or sometimes when I don't feel like it, Kelley will do it for me...what a peach he is.
I also learned how to cast a little better this year. Although 90 percent of the time, it just goes about 5 feet and plunks in the water.)
Hiking in the magnificient mountians around the lake.
Seeing how happy it makes Kelley to be there and to be able to relax and have fun with his family and friends.
But mostly just enjoying each other's company, talking, laughing, telling stories, listening to music, getting excited for whoever is catching a fish, teasing whoever gets skunked.





Later in the afternoon, the wind calmed down and we had a lovely evening driving the boat all around the lake. We went up through the narrows, enjoyed looking at the beautiful mountains, saw a few deer, and fished.
It makes me kind of sad to see summer coming to an end. It seems like it just went by in a whirl wind. Hope we'll have a nice warm fall so we can spend a few more heavenly days at the lake.

2 comments:

kat said...

I miss the mountains and fishing with you guys. I'll never forget the day we spent up there before the boy left. I have the pic of him sleeping on my shoulder on my desktop. Now he is a 'Fisher of Men' and will surely not be skunked! xoxo
K

Angie said...

I am glad you could have so much fun at the lake! What a great place to enjoy the beauty that is out there.