Friday, July 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Katie!

Katie is turning 30! It's pretty hard to believe! Last night she text me and asked me what time she was born. I was thinking it was about 1:00 in the afternoon. I asked Kelley if he could remember. He has a way better memory than me! We started talking about it and soon a whole flood of memories came back to me. I remember I started feeling sick only a few months after we were married. Being the neieve young thing I was, I just thought I had the flu. I finally went to see Dr. Baker, Kelley's family's doctor. He did not have the best bedside manner and was pretty much like" DUH Your'e pregnant" It hadn't occured to me that I could be pregnant because we were using "protection" (that didn't work) I was totally thrilled though and so was Kelley. I was pretty sick most of the pregnancy. My body does not like being pregnant! I found a wonderful Obstrician through the Andrus's. His name was Kreal Smith and I loved him. He was a kind, gentle older man that was wonderful to sit and listen to me. He remained my doctor until he finally retired shortly after Candice was born. I was so nausiated, with Kate, he had me come into the office every week for a B12 shot. They really stung, but eased the nausea some. I remember when I went into labor, I was walking around K-Mart with Julie Humphries. Julie and Frank were good friends of Kelley's before we got married and became my friends too. Julie was expecting around the same time as I was so I'm sure we were quite a sight...two women, 9 months pregnant strolling through K-Mart. We hurried home and I called my mom. I told her how I was feeling, and she said I should get to the hospital right now! We hurried as fast as you can go up to the LDS hospital. There really is no fast way to get there without a helecopter. The rooms were not private then, and it felt like I was in the middle of grand central station. Random people were coming in and checking me that I had never even seen before. I guess they had interns that were learning, but I didn't like it! I didn't really know what was supposed to happen though with it being my first one, so I was just like...uh ok. An anestheseologist came in to give me the epidural and I remember it feeling like an electric shock going up my back. It started to ease the pain, but just on one side of my body. I told them it wasn't helping much and they said to give it more time. I just thought that was the way it had to be so I tried to deal with it. It got worse and worse though and by the time they wheeled me down to the delivery room, I was screaming all the way. After a while of pushing, screaming, wishing my mom was there, out came beautiful Katie. It is so amazing how just as you think you can't stand it another second, and you surely are going to die, the baby is here, the pain is over and you have a gift straight from God laying in your arms. There is nothing else that can compare with that joy. And she has been bringing us joy ever since.
Katie is a very special person! She is very smart, funny, and very spiritual. She has always tried to do what is right and has always made us so very proud. Katie has had some hard things to deal with in her life and I am always amazed at her courage and faith. I love the way she puts her family first and is always concerned about us and what is going on in our lives. She is a very loving, caring person. She was such a big help to me while she was here, emotionally and physically! She had to go back home wednesday night so we celebrated before she left. Olivia helped her open her presents.





















After K.C. was set apart, we went outside and took some pictures.





































Nice Flapping!































































It was great to have Kim, Mark and Taylor there. They are great friends and always there to support our family






















































































































President Mendenhall gave K.C. such a beautiful blessing as he set him apart. He was filling in for President Child because he was out of town. It was pretty special though because he has been in our ward all of K.C's life and has been his scout leader and teacher and friend and knows him really well.
There was a pretty amazing feeling in the room. You could feel the power of the priesthood as the mantle of full time missionary and personal representative of the Lord was placed on him.





















We had a fun dinner together before everyone came over to see K.C. be set apart.











3 comments:

Angie said...

I just love your family especially Kate she is so amazing! What a horrible experience getting her here it makes me want to run the other way screaming! I am glad you were able to have KC set apart at home i didn't know they did that. He looks more mature to me in the pictures maybe its the suit:)

Camille said...

This day made me feel so porud to be a part of this family. We are all lucky to have eachother. Kate is the best. I hope I can remember that good when Liv is 30!

kat said...

Ok, no more shout outs for Kate, cause she cries the whole time she reads it! Wait, I cry pretty much every blog you do! Oh well! Thank you for your sweet words mom. I'm the lucky one to be a part of this family. I love you ps-so really, what time was i born? 1?