Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Well I don't have any pictures for my post today which is a good thing because what I'm going to talk about is not pretty.  It's really pretty gross.
Earlier this spring I found this weird bump on my leg.  It looked like something that should come to a head and get squeezed. But when I tried to squeeze it, nothing would come out.  I thought it must be an ingrown hair and figured it would go away.  Well it didn't.  In fact in started getting bigger. So I made an appointment with Dr, Bradley...but I couldn't get in to see Dr Bradley till August sometime...Ha!  So I was fine to see the other doctor in his office, Matt. 
So I went in and he took one look at it and said ummm yeah, that's not an ingrown hair.  He said it looked like skin cancer.  I have never had anything that looked like that before so I was pretty surprised.  He said he wasn't sure, but he would biopsy it and let me know.  So he cut it off and also froze off a bunch of my barnicles on my back and leg.  
He called me a few days later and said it was a form of skin cancer.  He said he needed to take more tissue off around that area.  This was two days before we were headed to California to work on Stacey's Airstream.  He said not to worry, that he could take it off when I got home.  He said this isn't a kind of cancer that spreads.  
Well I knew that we weren't going to be back for a couple weeks because we were headed to Mexico straight from California.  I also knew it would make me crazy on vacation, knowing that I had this thing that needed to be taken off on my leg.  So I called him back and asked if there was any way he could take it off before we left.  He said he understood and told me to come in the next day.  He took a bigger piece off and seemed quite confident that he had gotten it all and said I probably didn't need to see him again for it.
So we go on vacation and all the while, I was healing up from where he had frozen off the moles.  They all got scabby and healed up pretty quick.  But the place where he took the skin cancer off didn't heal up so good.  I kept it covered most the time and put neosporin on it but it still didn't look right.  Kelley had gone with me when I had it cut off and he said that Matt had cut quite deep so that was probably why it was taking so long to heal.  
When I touched it, it felt like there was a lump underneath the sore.  I knew this wasn't right so I called Matt's office to see if I could have him look at it.  There is a lady that works in Dr. Bradley's office that I have never cared for too much...she is always very cold and rude.  I told her what was going on and she said Matt didn't have any openings till the first week of August.  I was like...really? I can't wait that long!  By this time it had started hurting...like really bad.  Anytime it was touched, or even brushed up against, it would send me through the roof with pain.  I told her that I really needed someone to look at it and she said "well there is nothing I can do."  
I knew that Camille had made an appointment with Matt to have him look at a few of her moles too and that appointment was the following week, so I decided I would just go in with her.  
The thing with Matt is he is really efficient and quick.  When I have seen Dr. Bradley I would without fail wait in the waiting room for at least 45 minutes, then when they take me back to a room, I would sit in there and wait for at least another 45 minutes.  One time I was waiting in the room for over an hour before he came in.  He apoligizes and is just the nicest man, but even when he is working on me, he takes FOREVER! He likes to sit and chat so I can see why he gets so far behind.
Anyway, they took Camille right in and I tagged along with her.  He asked me how I was doing and I told him not very good.  I told him how I had tried to get in to see him, but the receptionist said I couldn't get in till August.  He seemed kind of mad that she would have done that.  He came and took one look at my leg and was like "oh dear, that's not good"  He said he must not have gotten it all and it had grown back.  He said not to worry about it though, that it wouldn't spread.  He didn't have any openings for two weeks which worked out fine cause we were headed to California in a couple of days. 
He took some big moles off of Camille's head that have been bothering her for a long time.  Then she showed him one that was on the bottom of her foot and he said he for sure wanted to take it off.  Camille said it had changed  shape over the past year.  I felt so bad for her when she had to get a shot in the bottom of her foot.  I was holding her hand and I know it hurt like crazy.  Then he immediately cut it off.  Camille thought he was giving her another shot cause she was like ahhhhhh that hurts!!! She looked down and he was all finished.  I think he could have waited a minute for the deadening to work!
So I had a few more weeks to get to think about this ugly thing on my leg.  I was really hanging on to his  word that it wasn't going to spread and he could easily take care of it when I got home.  The worst part of it was just the pain.  Any bump or touch would make me cry out in pain. Even sleeping on that side was impossible. I kept it covered all the time now cause it was pretty hideous.  It had gotten bigger and was a raised bump with a scabby top. ewww.
I was sure glad when today finally got here so I could get it taken care of!  Kelley is such a sweetie and went with me for moral support.  He was making me laugh all the way there to get my mind off of it.
It was sad when we went back to the room, we could hear this kid in the next room screaming at the top of his lungs.  The nurse came in and said he was having warts frozen off.  When Matt finished up with him and came in the room, he looked like he had been wrestling an alligator.  He said "I'm sorry you had to hear that!"  I just felt bad for the little kid...I know how it feels and it stings!
  I was pretty nervous about having him touch my big sore...let alone give me a shot in it to deaden it.  And it was even worse than what I had imagined.  I don't like to sound like a boob and I do have a pretty high pain tolerance, but when he stuck the needle in there it was so painful, I cried...big sobby crying. I know he felt bad...he kept saying "I'm so sorry" but then he did it again only deeper.  I thought I was going to pass out.  He didn't wait a minute, but just started cutting at it.  I did't feel anything but pressure now.  He had it done in just a few minutes.  He said he wanted me to use this cream that would get rid of any cancer cells if there were some left.  So I put it on twice a day for 6 weeks.  It hasn't hurt since he did it until tonight, and it's not bad.  I'm just feeling so grateful that they could take it off and stop that pain. I hope with the surgery and using that cream, I will be done with it for good.
(maybe I'll get a picture when it's a little less gruesome looking)

No comments: