Friday, November 9, 2012

For Young Women's this week, we went to do Baptisms for the dead. 
We had been talking about it for weeks and I think the girls were pretty excited about it.  We made sure everyone had their recommends ready ( Bishop even did a new one that night for one of the girls that couldn't find hers...she was one of the new behives and hadn't been before, so we were all excited for her to have the experience!)
 
Bonnie had called earlier in the week to see if we could reserve a place, but they told her you have to have over 20 people to reserve a spot.  They said if we came on the half hour, we should be able to get in just fine.
So when we got there and went down to the baptistry, and saw the whole room filled, oh the disappointment!  They told us this huge group of young single adults had just come in and it would be at least two hours before we could get in.
We thought about going to a different temple...(how lucky are we to have a choice?) and Bonnie called to see if we could get in at Draper or Ocher Mountain Temple.  They were full too.
So we left, but not without getting a few great shots of these beautiful girls...
 (Weird how the temple looks green in these pictures...my camera somehow did that...I was pretty glad you could see the girls at all...it was pretty dark)
I was thinking while we were standing around the fountain ( it was a lovely warm night...so unusual for Nov 7) how I loved these girls.  They are good girls and are trying to do what is right.  It kills me to listen to them talk about what's going on in school and what they have to face every day.  These times are so different from when I grew up.    We had temptations and there were kids making dumb choices, but they were the minority.  Now it seems like the one's that are trying to do what is right are the minority.  They are ridiculed, and teased and shunned by the "popular kids"
I worry for the future these girls will have to face.
With the results of the election this past week, my faith in the United States of America has been shaken.  I get an overwhelming feeling of ickyness as I watch all the hollywood stars so glib about  the way things turned out...supporting the "womens health...aka right to abortion" legalizing gay marriage, and turning our government into something that sounds communistic.  What incentive do people have to try to do better, if the government is going to take from those that are working hard and trying to make a difference and just give it to those that aren't?  I listened to this lady on the radio who came to the United States from Russsia, and she said the signs we are seeing now are just what she left Russia to get away from.    Seems as though the greatest country in the whole world ( who God promised to protect as long as it is a righteous country) is going right down the crapper.  I had such hope for Mitt to be able to turn things around...to have his example of good values and integrity, hard work and high standards be what we as Americans would want to aspire to. too. ( and I know there are millions out there that do feel this way and wanted it too...I still don't understand  this electoral vote-popular vote thing)
Made me realize that all you can do is just try to do the best you can in your own little space....try to lift and serve those around you and be kind to everyone, no matter what they believe.
ok, I will get down off my soap box now....just had some pretty strong feelings about this.
My hope comes from girls like these that will stand up for what they know is right, even if they are put down and left out of the popular crowd because of it.  They will be the leaders and the heros for the future generations.



No comments: