Monday, November 22, 2010

What a day...

It started snowing Saturday night and this is what we woke up to Sunday morning. Boy they weren't kidding when they said this storm was going to be a doozy!

We woke up to the sound of Bishop Burns snow blower chugging by our house...Kelley soon joined him and they went around digging people out. The snow was so heavy, there was lots of branches that had broken off....leaving quite a mess, but that will be a job for another day...Today, they just wanted to clear off the driveways so they could get out.

Brian called and said they were canceling all early morning meetings...Kelley commented later that this had been one of his favorite Sunday mornings!

Anyway, he got home just in time to shower and get his suit on and make it to Sacrament meeting.



This was kind of funny...Kelley got this fancy snow blower last year and didn't use it much... mostly just for the sidewalks over at the shop.
So he was kind of struggling with it...seemed more trouble than it was worth...after he finished off our driveway, he parked it and took the good old shovel around to the neighbors to dig them out.



I was teaching the lesson in YW today and it was all about gratitude. For part of the lesson we went around the room telling things we were thankful for. It was a pretty sweet moment. These girls are great...I was touched by the way Maggie expressed her love and gratitude for her mother. She told about how her mom is always doing nice things for their family and for other people. That is so true! Amazing lady! I wished Colleen could have heard all the sweet things she said about her. How cool is it when your kids realize that they DO appreciate you and all the things you do for them! I remember way back when I started getting sweet little notes from the kids, telling me that they loved and appreciated me....those are treasures to me...I have saved every one.

It was nice to have Candice and Kelley in the class with us. I sure love it when she comes!

Kelley had to stay at church all day for tithing settlement so Candice and I snuggled up by the fire and watched 'dirty jobs' all afternoon.

I had been asked by Jenni's cousin (who was doing the program for YWIE) to play the piano for her to sing. She sent me the music last week and man I was struggling with it all week. I can usually figure music out if I have enough time or if I've heard it before. This song had notes written down so low, even when I would count down and figure what note it was, it didn't sound right. I even asked Ann when she came visiting teaching if she could figure out what the notes were. She agreed that it didn't sound right so maybe it was a misprint? So I just made up some notes that sounded good....I practiced a LOT! but still couldn't play it very well...(don't like sharps)

SOOOOOO when I got over to the church to practice with Emily, I told her I would like it if she would play it so I could hear what it was supposed to sound like. She sat down and played it just like it was written...bad sounding notes and all....and about 10 times faster than I had been playing it. Oh man.

She said she had been quite hoarse so she would only be able to go through it once to save her voice, so when I tried to play it like she did...it was pretty much a disaster. I really made a mess of it and she looked at me like 'oh dear!'

She has a very beautiful voice and would have sounded better without me even playing, but she assured me I would do just fine.

I decided I would just play really quiet...I mean this is not about me...it's about her! But then there are several parts in the song in between where she sings where it is all about ME! ...So I just started praying that I wouldn't mess up too bad.

I have to say that there were angels helping me play that song... I seriously felt like my fingers were guided where they needed to go and I played it like she had!

I know it sounds like a little thing, but to me it was huge! Wow! Prayers really are heard and answered! I definitely had an extra "thank you" in my prayers last night.

2 comments:

Angie said...

WOW I cant believe all the snow! That clip with Kelley and the snow blower made me laugh. Especially when he went and got the shovel after all that. I am glad your song went well. There is nothing worse then being nervous about playing.

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

Thanks for being such a great mentor to our girls--they love you a lot! The notes they wrote at YW on Sunday were priceless!