Tuesday, November 9, 2010

About a week ago, I got a call from Brenda. She thought it would be nice if we all got together for Stacey's birthday. I am so glad she took the initiative to do this! She is thoughtful and kind like that.
For years, we would always get together and go to lunch for each of our birthdays...without fail. Then it seems like everyone just got real busy and we let the birthday's go by....
I was happy to help Brenda call a few people and soon we had it all arranged.
So last night we all met at the Olive Garden. Everyone was able to come which was pretty amazing...everyone except Charlene. She has moved to California. Miss her.
Anyway, it was just wonderful to get to spend two hours laughing and talking and listening to what was going on in each of these dear ladies lives. It's so nice to be able to talk to these friends and know that they are going through a lot of the same things that I am.
We each have our own challenges, joy's and sorrows, but basically we are each just trying to raise our families the best we can. Seems like it doesn't matter how old your kids get, they still are the center of your life and where your heart lives.
Makes me sad to hear of struggles and heartaches some are going through...I thought things were supposed to get easier once the kids are all grown up! nope.
Also, we are all pretty much falling apart. We're all about the same age and starting to go through menopause. It's somehow comforting to know that I'm not the only one who is having hot flashes, losing my sight and hearing, and can't remember what I did five minutes ago! It's nice to be able to laugh about it and commiserate with one another.
I can just picture the seven of us twenty years from now... sitting around the table, laughing and talking...gray haired and wrinkled, but still full of spunk and fun and love for each other.
Kind of reminds me of the little poem...."Make new friends but keep the old...one is silver, the other gold." These women and their friendship are a treasure worth much more than any gold to me!

2 comments:

Angie said...

how fun that you were able to get together and laugh. I think there is never enough of that going around!

kat said...

I love that you and dad have had such great friends, such a blessing to all of us. It's like I have 7 more sets of parents!