Friday, November 12, 2010

A few things from the past few days...
I have been late to institute class the past few weeks, so I've missed that time when Brother Wilcox talks to us. When I walked in though, there was a very somber feeling in the room. He gave the lesson and didn't mention anything unusual, but you could definitely see the change in his face...so full of sadness.
Wednesday, when I went to class, Brother Gibbons was there substituting for him. He told us about Brother Wilcoxs' wife. She has an inoperable brain tumor and after some radiation, they have seen there is no way they can stop the tumor and have just put it into God's hands.
So very sad for him. He always talks about her and what a strength and joy she has been in his life. He attributes everything he is to her influence on him and just adores her. She would come to many of his classes and sit with him on the stand. Then when he would get up to talk, she would watch him with such a look of love in her eyes, well it was just one of those things that really touches your heart.
I know I'm just one person in the hundreds that come to his class every week, and he doesn't even know me, but after having him teach me, inspire me and lift me up for the past 10 years, I feel like he is a friend and an angel to me.
Kelley noticed this article in the paper yesterday. I will definitely be getting this new book he has written... 'What the scriptures teach us about adversity' In the article he talks about his wife and what she is going through and how he feels like what he learned while writing this book was given to him to help them be able to get through this trial.
I try to imagine what they are going through, but the feelings scare me. How quickly your life can be turned upside down. I don't know what I would do without my good husband. He is everything to me.On a happier note... for our young women activity, we all met at my house and I taught them how to make pie crust.
They each made their own crust and after a little practice, all did great on making a pretty fluted edge.I had wanted to do pumpkin pie, but thought it would take too long to bake them all so I just bought some instant chocolate pudding for them to fill them with. When Marlene came, she was telling us about this instant pumpkin pie pudding she had just bought a whole bunch of it and said she would let the girls use it, so she went and got it. The girls mixed it up and filled their pie shells. It was really yummy! (I got to clean out the bowl!)I think the girls had a good time just talking and laughing together.




Plus...I think they were kind of proud of how nice their pies turned out! And they did it all their selves!



I sure love these girls
They did great and it was a fun night!

p.s....thanks too to my sweet husband who made a nice fire in the fireplace so we could have a warm cozy night.




2 comments:

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

I thought about you when I read the article about Bro. Wilcox in the paper. I haven't had your immersion in his classes, but I love to listen to him teach on BYUTV. I think life should be called "adjusting" instead of "living." We sure have to do a lot of adjusting!

And yes, the girls loved the pie activity at your house. Thanks for all of your efforts to love, serve, and guide them!

Angie said...

That is really sad about the institute teachers wife. There is nothing worse then watching a loved one die. I am experiencing that right now and its so hard. I am glad you had fun making pies. You make amazing pies they are so lucky to have you teach them. love ya