Monday, September 20, 2010

Sunday evening, we started smelling smoke. Went outside and it was really strong.
We thought there had been fires, but way down south. Kelley went outside a while later, then hollars at us to bring our cameras...the moon was red. (this picture does not do it justice!)
Pretty freaky. I went inside and turned on the news and found out there was terrible fires in Herriman. Started by gunfire training at Camp Williams...(that's probably going to hit the fan soon) They had evacuated about 1300 homes. Very scary....several friends live there. Our prayers are with them.They talked of having just 20 minutes to gather what they could and get out...some much less.
I thought...what would I take? What is really important to me?
First of all...Kelley, Lizzy and me....Somehow, I think the fish will live though the millennium....will not die! Then I guess my scriptures...I would be so sad if I lost them...lots of markings and notes and such.
Photo albums, scrap books and genealogy...baby books, I know where they are. I have a drawer upstairs that I keep all of the sweet cards and notes I have been given from people I love. I would be sad to lose those.
I am pretty unorganized as far as important documents are concerned...they are in several places....totally motivated me to get that in order. ( We did these binders a few years ago in Relief Society that are supposed to organize all your important papers...mine has about 3 papers in it) My piano music is important to me....have a lot of it. ok, I guess you can replace that....I would cry to think of my piano burning though.
I have a few nice pieces of jewelry that Kelley has given to me that I would get if I had time.
I've put together a emergency back pack for each of us that could keep us alive for a couple days...I'd grab those.
I was listening to the news today and there was a lady on there talking about losing their house in the fire. She said she was grateful their family was all safe, and the animals, but then she just started to cry when she talked all of the memories they had of that house...they had lived there for 35 years...one of the first homes built out there. Their family had horses and they had such great memories of their kids and grand kids working and playing on their ranch.
She said all of their journals and pictures were gone....
I found myself with tears running down my face listening to her. ( I think the reporter interviewing her was crying too)
Made me realize that the only things that really matter are the people you love and the memories that you have made together...those are the only things that you can really take with you anyway.



2 comments:

Angie said...

That is so sad I heard about the fires too. It makes me think what I would want to take. That lady is right though as long as the family is safe that is what counts.

stacey said...

When you see the fire damage, you can't help but know that angels WERE watching over those people. Only 4 homes..that's incredible! What amazing fire fighters we have to protect us and our families. Mick called me and said, Mom, I don't know what to get...just your family Mick...that's all I could think of. Just a change of clothes and the rest will be okay! CRAZY!