Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mom's bathroom...day 2

We got an early start Monday morning...up at five and on our way by five-thirty! Rick must have left some time in the middle of the night because he was there when we got there...I know!... I couldn't believe he would give up his holiday to help Kelley out again...but there he was! What a friend!



Him and Stacey have been doing the HCG diet where they only eat 500 calories a day. They've been doing it for about two weeks and losing a lot of weight but seriously 500 calories? I would have been biting every one's head off and eating it! but he stays really pleasant and worked so hard up there. I don't know how we can ever repay him!When we got there mom was still sleeping....Kelley and Rick started sawing and hammering but she kept right on sleeping. I would go up there and peek in her door every few minutes ...I thought there was no way she could still be sleeping...but she slept through about an hour of it. When I found her sitting on the edge of her bed, I went in and asked her how she had slept through all the noise. She said the first thing she had heard was some men's voices and she thought Deloy was talking to someone in the backyard.
Ha! I was thinking everyone should be wearing earplugs cause the saw was so noisy!
It always wrenches at my heart when I find her snuggled up with teddy bear.I helped mom get dressed and made some breakfast for her, Kelley and I. ( Rick ate a hand full of blueberries...really?) Fixed moms hair and got her settled in the living room. We made a list and headed over to home depot.
Door casings, tile, grout, paint and electrical stuff ...so much more to it than I ever thought!
They were doing about 6 projects that were each a pretty big deal! Rick re-routed the light switch and fan switch...up through the attic and out into the east room. Now the shower enclosure fit just perfect! Put shower and hardware in and it looks great!
They installed the new door...not easy when the walls are as uneven as they are at moms house...3/4 inch difference from one side of door opening to the other....and putting the vanity in required a lot of propping and lifting...that floor really slants down from east to west.They had forgot about a new wax ring for the toilet so Kelley headed over to home depot again. While he was gone, Rick got the vanity out of the box and discovered a big hole in one side of it. It looked like it had been dropped or something so I called Kelley and he turned around and came home and got it. A while after he left, Rick realized they needed some different hoses to hook up the sink so he tried to call him. Kelley didn't answer his phone, so we figured he must have left it in the truck. I didn't want him to have to make another trip, so I called home depot and had him paged. Luckily, he was standing right next to the guy who picked up the phone, so that was easy. Rick explained the hoses he needed but was like...I don't know if he knows what I'm talking about! Kelley came home with the hoses, but a few minutes later I hear I hear him get back in the truck and drive away. Wrong hose. Yup.
I made us some soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner...mum and I ate and then she was ready for bed. I got her all tucked in upstairs, then started cleaning up in the east room.
When Kelley got home, things really started coming together. He grouted and they put in the toilet, vanity and mirror. He patched up all the holes in the walls, hung up some hand rails and cleaned everything up. I helped clean up and we set up mom's bed again. I vacuumed and tried to get things put back where they belong. We couldn't really put things away cause there is still some things to do....painting, finish work....so it is still kind of unfinished...but everything works and she can be using it while it's being finished. The tile turned out really nice and everything looked great! Don't know how to even begin to thank these two good men for what they have done. They are both going straight to heaven.
I talked to mom this morning and she said she was so thrilled with it. She said "I only had to take a few steps and I was in the bathroom! I love it! Tell Kelley and Rick I appreciate it so much!" I'll echo those words! For making mom's life a little bit easier and more comfortable...from the bottom of my heart... I thank you so much!


2 comments:

Angie said...

I cant believe that is the same bathroom! It looks so different and you can actually walk around. What a ton of work they are so awesome! They are going straight to heaven!I cant believe 500 calories a day I would pass out.

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

Impressive undertaking! More impressive workers! Outstanding results!