Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bunko and Luau

This was a busy week. On Thursday, I had couples bunko here at our house. It was a fun time. Kelley had been working hard in the yard, getting some last minute things done. Seriously, I don't know how he does it. He cleaned out the wood pile, cleaned the pump in the fish pond so it would flow better, picked up Lizzy poo, mowed the lawn, planted a bush I had bought, cleaned up all the crap in the back yard, set up tables and chairs, and helped me with dinner. This was just between 5 and 6 o'clock. He was kind of in a coma the rest of the night. Go figure!
Anyway, I hope everybody had a good time. It's kind of stressful trying to figure prizes that women and men would both like and of thinking of something good for dinner. None of the men really want to be there anyway so you try to at least make a dinner they will enjoy. I did chicken fajitas and they seemed to like them. I had other people bring things to go with the dinner...Patti made a really good 7-layer dip, Kaye brought their yummy home made salsa and chips that they have been selling. Stacey brought a nice fruit platter, then others helped with drinks and candy. I had Sheri and Holli bring dessert and they brought two different kinds of cake and ice cream. That was really good.
I love the bunko ladies . It is quite a diverse group...now with women from all over the valley. It's hard to believe, but we have been playing together for about 20 years! We have been through a lot together...it's been nice to be able to share my life and experiences with these great women every month. We are all about the same age so we have pretty much raised our kids together, and gone through the same types of things together. We have gone from babies in diapers to little league and dance class to teenager trials and dating, to missions and marriages, pregnancy and birth of our grandchildren too. Then there are the joy's of being a grandparent! Now some are facing the challenges and heartache of watching and dealing with our own parents struggles in their later life. Anyway, I enjoy my association and friendship with these good women...it's kind of therapeutic just to get together and talk, and to share the joys and sorrows in our lives with these women because you know they understand because they have been through it too.

Friday, Kelley and I were running around getting everything together for the Luau. We got a ton of meat from Costco. Rick came over Friday night and started working on getting it in the marinade. He is such a big help. I don't think we could do it without him. Kelley was gone to the hospital to give Martha a blessing and I had to go to the airport to pick up Katie but Rick just stayed at our house, getting the meat ready. It is a huge job!
I was so glad that Katie could come home for the weekend. She had a dentist appointment Saturday morning, but spent the rest of the day helping us get things ready for the luau.
Saturday, bright and early (5:30) Kelley and Rick were out there getting the fire started in the pit. Then they started setting up the tents and collecting tables and chairs and a giant barbecue grill from Andreasons.
They still had time for the weekly basketball game.
The activities committee came over about 4 to start decorating. It was Vickie, Karen and Kathy. They really did a great job. The decorations were so cute,. Karen had gotten sand buckets, and filled them overflowing with brown sugar. Then she had sea shells to put all around like they were in sand. Very cute. Then they had a bunch of other cute beach decorations and blow up beach balls and palm trees and crabs and leis that really made it fun. Kelley brought out the big stereo and we put on some Don Ho and we were ready! Stacey made some great luau music cds for us to use too.
We had a really good turn out. People I had never met before came. I think a lot of that had to do with the flyer saying "neighborhood luau" rather than "ward luau" I got to meet some people who live down the street that I probably never would have, so that alone was worth it to me. It was just enjoyable to be able to sit and visit with neighbors and friends and have a yummy dinner. The people who were supposed to man the barbecue grill didn't show up so that put Kelley filling in for them. Kind of frustrating cause he was trying to do about 50 other things at the same time. I was glad that Lisle and Pat came over. They brought a fabulous potato salad.





Candice brought her friend Lisa but there was not a lot they could eat. Lots of MEAT! Candice was expecting Seth and was getting kind of concerned about him...he was supposed to be coming out on his bike, but he had some problems and didn't show up till later.
















It was fun catching up with people that you don't get to visit with on Sunday.










Thanks Candice. That was pretty much how I was feeling at that point too.
The Luau is a lot of work. Kelley does most of it. Rick does a lot. Friends and neighbors are all there to help out in anyway they can. The activities committee was a really big help too. Everyone was great to help with the food so that makes it work. It seems kind of like a thankless job, but Kelley and I both enjoy doing it and bringing the people in the neighborhood together. I figure if even one person feels more comfortable and at ease with these ward members and neighbors, then it has been worth it. I guess that's what it's all about...bringing friends and ward members closer together and making new friends too.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I am exhausted just reading that post let alone being the person in charge! Kudos to you guys for all your selfless acts of kindness towards your friends and family! Maybe I can be just like you when I grow up:)