Friday, April 27, 2012

Had a really disturbing  visit with one of my visiting teaching ladies this afternoon. We had set up an appointment with her for 4:00. We came to the door and are greeted by her husband and son.  He invites us in, apolagizing for the condition of their home.( It was pretty bad....they had to make a trail for us to get to the couch, then move some stuff off the couch for us to sit down.) 
Then she came storming into the room, screaming at her son at the top of her lungs.  She kept telling him to get out of there...I mean scary screaming.  The little boy (probably about 8, was being shuffled out the door by his dad but she was yelling at him all the way..."you are making me crazy...you  are so lazy...you made this mess...get away from me!"  I couldn't believe what I was hearing and my heart was breaking for this little boy. 
The dad followed the little boy out the door as she hollared a few nasty comments to him too.
Then she moved a pile of clothes off a chair and sat down.  She told us she had finals on Monday and needed to study and her family wouldn't leave her alone.  She said all the kids do is play video games and never help her.  She works from home at night, then goes to school during the day.  She said her son had been following her around all morning, wanting her attention and she just didn't have time for him cause she needed to be studying.
My partner and I were just sitting there like WOW.  We could see that she had clearly gone over the edge. 
She said she was under a lot of pressure and things would be better after her finals on Monday. She said she wanted to cut back her hours at work, but then couldn't get by without that extra money.
I wanted to tell her we would clean her house, but I know she would have been very offended.
 I didn't want to take any more of her time, but told her that we were there for her to help her in any way we could and that we would be praying for her and her family to get through this hard time.  I told her that Heavenly Father loves her and knows what she is feeling and wants her to go to Him for help and comfort. She started to cry and we did too. We talked a few more minutes, then gave her a hug and left.  I literaly felt sick when I left her house.  Sick for her sad situation that has driven her to this point,  sick for the humiliated dad, but mostly sick for that little boy.  I can't get the picture of his confused, scared little face out of my mind.

1 comment:

Angie said...

that is truly heartbreaking I feel so bad for that little boy. That is when you feel your hands are tied. Just keep the prayers going I know they always help. Look how much it softened her heart.