Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Chicks and fun times...

We've been talking about getting some chickens for quite a while now and we thought it would be fun to have Livy pick them out, so one day we went over to IFA to check them out.
Liv instantly became mother hen and wanted to hold them non stop.


After doing our home work, we picked three different kinds of chicks that we were told were good layers. hardy and friendly!

Sam wasn't too sure about them...kept his distance.

 They told us to get two more than what we wanted to end up with cause usually a few die.  Some of them seemed pretty fragile those first few days, and I was afraid  some might not make it.  I would look in the box and find them all sprawled out with their head buried in the wood shavings.  I poked one of them and it didn't move, so I picked it up and it just laid there all limp. I thought she was a goner.  But then all the sudden, her head popped up and she was just perky as ever.  The next few days, I noticed that they would fall asleep randomly, no matter what they were doing.  Several times, I found them laying with their head inside the feeding tray sound asleep.  The guy at IFA said they are not the brightest and have fallen asleep in their water and drowned before.  HA!  They are so cute though!  And they are growing like crazy!  One of the black ones was bigger than the others when we got them and she is trying to fly out of the box.  Kelley put a wire cover over the top but she keeps flying up and bashing her head against the top....I think we are going to need a bigger box!  They said we could keep them like this for about 6 weeks, then we're going to need a coop!


Olivia told me before they left that I would have to take care of them now..".be sure to feed them and hold them and talk to them and love them grandma"


We had such a fun week together...one day we went up to city creek and shopped a bit.  We were going to go over to Temple Square to look at the flowers, but a cold wind started to blow pretty hard so we decided to call it a day.
Liv and I had fun dressing up in daddy's hula skirts and looking at all the pretty shells and things he brought home.
We cooked hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire pit one night....really nice weather for the first part of the week!
Played hopscotch, barbies, candy land, paper dolls, colored and blew bubbles. Baked cookies, swung and read books.  Tammy is so thoughtful...brought over some cute coloring posters for Olivia.
Sam really likes broccoli!  He is such a cutie!  Had fun playing with Lizzy.  Lizzy was really protective of Sam this visit and wanted to be by him all the time.  Slept next to his crib every night.

 We planted a few more seeds and just had fun digging in the dirt.


mmmmmm peanut butter and jelly "SAND  which"
I made this outfit for Liv's American Girl doll.

Camille and I went for a run a few times while she was here.  We went down the canal road, then down 62 and onto the lower canal road.  I had seen some cool chicken coops when I had walked there before and wanted to get a picture of them to show Kelley.
Lots of trees were out in full blossoms and it smelled so good as we jogged by! 
I was surprised to see what my legs could do....thought I wouldn't be able to make it, but I did!  ( I'm sure I made Camille run about half as fast as she would have gone alone, but she was great to go at my pace.
I realized that having Camille and the grand kids here makes me feel young again...like I can do anything!  I kind of slip into old lady mode sometimes.   Sure do wish they didn't live so far away.  Hopefully, some day they will come back to Utah.
It was awful hard to see them go...


1 comment:

Angie said...

how fun that you got Chicks!! I love how cute Olivia is with them and I love that little outfit you made!!