Monday, September 26, 2011

Forget me not...

I was driving home from mum's Saturday evening, so I didn't get to go to the Relief Society General meeting broadcast.  I saw a few highlights from it on the Internet Sunday morning, then watched the whole thing Sunday night on a re-broadcast.  It was pretty wonderful.
I loved Sister Thompsons talk.  Camille told me I would bawl when she talked about going through her parents things after they passed away.Yup.  She talked about looking through old pictures, documents and keepsakes and learning a little more about what their lives were like.  It's pretty cool to think that they went through all the same things that we are experiencing now...just in a little different way.  Their commitment to do what is right and keep their covenants left a great legacy for us to try to follow.  Made me think about what kind of legacy my kids and grand kids would find when they  will look through things of mine that were precious to me.
I especially enjoyed President Uchtdorf's talk. He started talking about the little forget me not flower and my mind drifted off to the song mum taught us as little girls...
When so many pretty flowers, our Father gave a name...
Then came back a little blue eyed one...timidly it came.
And standing at the Father's feet and gazing at His face,
He said with meek and humble voice, yet with a simple grace...
"Oh dear Lord, the name thou gavest me, alas I have forgot."
Then the Father kindly looked at him and said... "Forget me not"
Pres. Uchtdorf went on to give some loving advice that lifted my heart... Don't be so hard on ourselves...none of us are perfect...God doesn't expect us to be.  Choose the better part...don't worry about trying to do EVERYTHING...just choose what is meaningful and do our best....that's all he wants. 
Be grateful for small and simple good things that happen with you and your family.  He related this to the little forget me not...even though they seem small and insignificant, God loves them and notices them.  He knows and loves us and notices when we are trying to do good things, even when no one else does.
I guess that was the best part of his message...a reminder that Heavenly Father loves us and will not forget us or leave us alone.  We are all individually important and special to Him.  All we have to do remember Him. 
Thanks...I needed to hear that right now.

No comments: