Sunday, August 28, 2011

We've had a busy week. We went up fishing on Monday. It was a beautiful day! KC brought his friend Nelson. We all caught fish so that made it extra fun.



Monday night we were studying the scriptures...(Kelley and I have been working on the Book of Mormon) Having KC study with us has been great! I'm really grateful to have him share his knowledge and testimony with us as we study.



Tuesday night Kelley got a call from the stake executive secretary. He said the new stake president wanted to meet with Kelley and I Wednesday night.



KC started school on Wednesday morning. We had been looking for him a car but hadn't seen anything too great. After chasing back and forth from the school, then home so I could use the car to go to racquetball, then back to school, we realized we needed to buckle down and find him a car!



KC found one on KSL classifieds that sounded pretty good. So after KC's classes we drove over to Ken Garff to look at it. They had just sold it that morning. We were bummed about that, but decided to look at another on that he found on his phone while we were driving. It was at a car lot called SNG. It really looked like one of those fly by night lots, but the car sitting there looked pretty nice. The lot was closed but KC called and told them we would come in the next day to look at it.



So the next morning, Kelley and I went in to look at it. KC was going to come meet us there after his class. We went into the office there and the guy that was there spoke to us with a really strong Russian accent. What's the chance of that!



We told him we were there to look at the Ford Focus. It looked real nice but when Kelley tried to sit in it, he couldn't get his legs under the steering wheel. KC is not a lot smaller than Kelley, so we figured that one probably wasn't going to work out.



We asked the Russian guy if he had anything else in this price range. He said "Only one...bery good car...Jetta"



We looked at the Jetta and it was really nice. It didn't seem like it would be bigger, but it was much roomier. KC was all about getting good gas mileage so this one seemed perfect!



By this time, KC had gotten there. He was really excited when we told him the sales man was Russian. The sales man was pretty surprised at how well KC spoke Russian.



He said KC sounded like he was from Baltic area. It was fun to hear KC speak Russian like that. I think he really enjoyed speaking it again too.



Anyway, we got all the information on the Jetta and took it for a test drive. It is not automatic, so Kelley drove it. KC said he wanted to have a standard, so that wasn't going to be a problem. It was pretty zippy and we all felt pretty good about it, so we decided that that was the one.



When we were working on the paper work, the sales man said he would give us a better price "because you are handsome young man and you speak bery good Russian!"



I think by this point, KC and Peter (that's the salesman) had become BFF's and KC said he wanted to invite him over for dinner!



It was pretty cool, and I think not by chance that we met this man.



KC drove our car home, Kelley drove his truck home and I got to drive the new car home. It has been a while since I've driven a shifter, but it all came back to me ( after a few lurches)



I was almost home, when I looked at the dash board of the car and the clock said it was 12:40. I had told Candice I would meet her at Cafe Rio at 12:30, so I headed right over there. I pulled into a parking spot, then looked at my phone to see if Candice had called and realized it was only five to twelve. So I go to back out, but when I put it into reverse, it goes forward! There was a car parked in front of me and after a few tries at going in reverse, I was pretty darn close to the car. I didn't know what to do so I called Kelley. I remembered them telling him something about shifting into reverse, but wasn't paying very good attention. Kelley said I needed to push the top of the gear shift down, then shift to the spot I had been shifting to. It worked just fine! Man I was relieved!



So I took the car home and Kelley and I went back up to meet Candice at Cafe Rio. Had a nice lunch with her and Joe.



Later that afternoon, we took KC out to get the emissions and safety testing done, then on the way home, we stopped at the church parking lot so he could practice driving.



After a few tries, he was able to take off pretty smooth! We were talking about how we learned how to drive a manual. I had learned on daddy's old blue truck and had driven around and around the orchard till I could do it. That truck was pretty fun to drive! It had a starter button that you had to push with your foot while you pushed on the gas too. Then I remember it took both hands to shift the gears.( I was just a skinny little girl)



Anyway, we practiced till he felt pretty good about it, then went home...we figured we would have time to go out on the freeway with him the next day before he went on his date.



Kelley and I met with the President Rindlesbacher later Wednesday night. He was really nice. We started talking and discovered that he was raised in Amalga and went to Sky View. He was a senior when I was a sophomore. He has a brother who still lives in Providence that was my age. Wow! what a small world. Anyway, he was really great. He called Kelley to be the executive secretary in our new ward. That will be a lot of work, but fun too, to work with Richard and Josh. I think it will help to have someone who knows the people in our area work with their bishopric to help them mesh these two wards. I can't even imagine what a tremendous task it is for this bishopric to make this all work out.



We went out to the DMV in Draper Thursday morning to get the plate for the new car. It's like the difference of night and day between that DMV and the one here in Taylorsville. When we went in there to get KC's drivers license after he got home, we had to wait in a huge line just to get a number so we could sit down and wait some more. The one out south was pretty much empty. We walked right up to a counter and had everything taken care of in a few minutes! Well worth the drive!

In the mean time, our refrigerator has been slowly dying. It was still cool, but not cool enough. I went to pour milk on my cereal Friday morning, and it came out in chunks. Ok, it was time for a new one. ( We had had this one repaired several times and didn't want to sink anymore money into it.)



So I looked through all the ads and Kelley and I went out on the hunt. We discovered at the first store, that we were going to have trouble. Our kitchen cabinets had been built around the fridge that we had then...and it was just a little bit shorter than the fridges they are making now. The opening is 67 3/4 inches and almost every fridge is 68 or taller. Why??????????



We went in about every store in town, without any luck then decided to go to the RC Willey downtown. The guy helping us there was really nice and really bent over backwards to help us out. They didn't have anything out on the floor that would work, but he said there was one in their inventory that was a shorter version of one that we liked that was on the floor. Sold!

He was going to set up delivery for the next day, but we told him we needed it now! Our food was going bad as we spoke! So he said we could pick it up at the warehouse ourselves.

So we drove clear out to their warehouse and I'm talking CLEAR out there! It is clear out by the dump! ( which by the way really stinks! I had no idea!)

So we get it all loaded up and tied down in Kelley's truck and head for home. By the time we get there, it's almost time for KC to go on his date with this girl that Camille lined him up with. He stuck around for a bit though to help Kelley unload it. The neighbor guys across the street came over and helped him too. Well we get it all unloaded and all the wrapping off and discover it has big dents on both back corners. Ahhhhhhhhh. So I called the nice guy that sold it to us and told him about it. He said they could give us little bit off the price, or we could bring it back in and have them give us a new one. What a dilemma! I thought we should get more money off than what he was offering, ( they were big dents!) but taking it back in and trading for a new one was just too big of a hassle...plus our food was all going bad! So we decided to keep it. The dents don't show under the cabinet, so I guess it doesn't matter.



By this time, KC was leaving for his date (without ever practicing how to drive on the freeway in his new car...a little bit nervous to say the least)



I was kind of worried about him, so after about a half hour, I called him but he didn't answer. I figured he couldn't while he was driving...( he was going up to Kamas to pick her up, then they were going to go over to Strawberry and go out on the boat fishing) and tried not to worry.



Well about 8:00, KC calls Kelley. Kelley gets this kind of sick look on his face, then goes outside to talk to him. He comes back in and tells me that KC dropped the key ( the one and only) to his new car into the lake. I guess he had put some power bait on his hook, then wanted to wash off his hands, so leaned over the side of the boat (keys in shirt pocket) and keys went in water. I can't even tell you how many things have gone into the lake this way....phones, glasses, binoculars, etc.

So we hop in the truck and head for Strawberry. It takes about an hour and a half to get up there but we got there in about an hour. Kelley was going pretty fast...something he never does... and I was just praying all the way that no dear would jump out in front of the truck....we saw a lot of them on the sides of the road.

We got there and Kelley went down to the boat to get them. We got the VIN number off the car dash board so we could get a key made, then drove his date home. She was really a neat girl and didn't seem to mind how things had gone at all. In fact, she was really sweet about it and said it would be a date she would always remember!




Kelley securing the fridge


KC and Tiffany waiting for rescue squad


Kelley showing KC how to use the clutch...


Getting emissions and safety testing done...ha ha...Cody said the back lights on the car are illegal....they are the kind people put on a real souped up car. We'll have to change those...he'll get pulled over for sure knowing our luck!


2 comments:

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

Never a dull moment at your house, eh? You make even the hard moments sound fun--like sorting through your parents' things. I'm glad you have more time than we did!

Angie said...

wow what a bunch of adventures! she is right never a dull moment there.