Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Just wanted to say a little bit about our first Sunday as the Bennion 6th ward. Kelley went up to the ward correlation meeting before church to talk to them about the luau (dressed in full grass skirt and hawiian shirt...ha ha perfect first impression for the 6th ward people who have never met him! I love him!) Anyway, KC and I drove up ourselves.
Judy was walking in the same time we were and we talked a little about how this change would affect her and her friends from the old ward. She said Joann was going to be able to keep going to the old ward, but they wanted Judy to give the new ward a try. She said " I thought about coming here alone, and considered just staying home...that would be the easiest choice...but I knew that was wrong, so here I am!" She has got to be one of my favorite people ever. Love her a lot.
We walked in and were greeted on every side from people from the 6th ward. They were so friendly and sweet...everyone was introducing themselves and really making us feel welcome. The chapel filled right up...then the over flow and the whole gym. Wow! There was a tangible feeling of excitement and anticipation.
Bishop Blake talked a while about the blending of the wards. I can't even imagine what an incredible job that bishopric has ahead of them in making everyone feel needed. There was a really good feeling there and you knew the Lord was guiding these changes.
President Rindlesbacher talked a little, then told everyone of the change of the executive secretary...releasing the old one and putting Kelley in as the new one. He is a really cool guy...very down to earth. He made a comment about Kelley's shiny head...that made me like him even more!
After Sacrament meeting, Kelley and I ran home to make some sign up sheets for the luau. We didn't know if it was really going to fly until after the correlation meeting, so we didn't make them yet. Then we hurried back to send them around in Relief Society, and the other organizations.
There was a good feeling in Relief Society. It was nice to be able to go! I've missed hearing the lessons.
Kelley came into Relief Society and talked a little bit about the luau. It's a perfect time for everyone to get to know each other. I hope the people from the old ward will come too! It was pretty great to see the sign up sheet almost filled after it went around. I think everyone is trying to make this change a good experience.
Anyway, after church, I kept thinking of the words to the closing song we sang that day... it really describes my feelings...
"Before thee Lord, I bow my head and thank thee for what has been said; my soul vibrates, my poor heart sings, when thy sweet spirit strikes the strings... As I go forth again to mingle with my fellow men...stay thou near-by, my steps to guide, that I may in thy love abide....
My heart is full, mine eyes are wet, Oh, help me Lord...lest I forget."
I don't want to ever forget the sweet feelings of love I felt this day.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I was signed in as trish on the last post oops! Anyway there are always mixed feelings about moving wards. I do love how awesome it is when the new ward starts feeling like the old ward. You guys are so sweet to keep the luau alive!