Monday, August 29, 2011

Saturday was a great day....because I got to spend it with my sisters! I picked up Teina and we headed up to mum's. After visiting for a little while and catching up on each other 's lives, we went to work.
We had decided to tackle the old garage...which I learned really was mum and daddy's old garage. I guess when they moved into that house, this big garage was just east of their house. When they built the new garage west of the house, they put the old garage on rollers and moved it to where it is sitting now.

First of all we found a big box of patterns. They sure brought back a lot of memories ! We all remembered certain dresses or outfits mum had sewn for us from these patterns.
Last time we were together, we found several boxes of cards and notes that we had all given to mother. She had really saved everything. Teina took them home and sorted them out so we could each have the ones that we gave to her. I didn't look at them till I got home, but when I did, I was sure touched. There was little poems and pictures I had drawn for her as I grew up, and then she had saved all the cards and letters our kids had made for her too. Reading those brought to the surface all the sweet tender feelings I have had for my mom all of my life. Anyway, that was super nice of Teina...it must have taken her hours to go through all those cards! She also made us all a copy of this picture we had taken of all the grandkids that is really neat! We cleaned out the tree house...it was mostly filled with tarps and canning stuff. Back behind everything though was this cute little cupboard daddy had built for us girls to play house with.( I don't think the cupboard was in it till it was on the ground)
We were thinking about how cool this tree house used to be. Daddy had built it for Bruce and it was everything a young boy could ever want. It was built in the top of the old macentosh tree in the orchard. I remember there was a rope hanging down from it that you had to be able to climb to get up into it. So that kept all of us sissy girls out.
Then one day there was a terrible wind storm, the branch split apart that it was sitting on, and the tree house ended up on the ground. Now it was fare game for all of us! We spent hours and hours playing in that tree house. We had lots of fun sleep overs with our girl friends in it.






Next we moved into the garage. There is a big book case filled with old books. We thought we might as well tackle that. We hauled all the books out onto the lawn in the back yard cause it was pretty hot in the garage. Then we sat and looked through them a little bit, then took turns picking one. There was some pretty cool old ones. A first edition of Peter and Wendy. Lots of neat old missionary books that daddy had used on his mission. When we were looking through one of the missionary books when I got home, there was a letter written in Tahitian. Wish I knew someone who could translate it! Daddy's brother Morgan (boot) was the owner of most of the old books. He must have really read a lot!


When we were going through an old cabinet in the garage, we came across this real treasure...daddy's bead work...


He had made the most beautiful pieces. We were able pick one for each of our kids and one for us too. Some were belts and I was lucky to get an awesome wallet he had made. He had little viles of beads and the invisible thread and needles he used in the box too. The box was really speciall too...all covered with shells, I imagine he made on his mission.



The groovy lamp that hung in the living room for as long as I can remember.



The tricycles...dang...there are only three...that's going to be a tough one to divide up...all of our kids have loved those tricycles. I do not look forward to the day when we have to divide up some of these more sentimental items.






The day flys by so fast...before we knew, it was close to 8:00. We went home dirty, sweaty and tired, but felt good for what we accomplished that day.

2 comments:

Lisa - The WagonMaster said...

Looks like another fun day for you four!

And you're right, those trikes are loaded with memories. I think all of us kids love them! I'd love just a picture of them!

kat said...

I'll take a picture too! Mom, i love that you said the lamp wasy 'groovy!' Your pants are groovy :)