Sunday, February 23, 2014

We were in charge of the combined last week and I so appreciate Bonnie taking charge of this one.  She had this idea of doing a talent show or little skits...but we would provide props and music to do their talent with. We all brought a bag full of silly things from home and the kids got to use that in their skit.  We divided the kids into four groups and sent them off to make up their little show. All the leaders got together and made up a dance to "crazy little thing called love"  We laughed a lot and found out that Lance has some great dance moves!
The kids did a great job!  I didn't know if they would really do it, but they really got into it and really hammed it up.  It turned out to be a fun night. 











 We had a few of the new beehives show up and I was glad all the girls made them feel welcome.
This was our girls playing their last basketball game.  I saw the best and the worst of sportsmanship that day.  I got there early because I was the only leader that could make it that day. As soon as I got there, the stake sports director said she needed to talk to me.  So I went out in the hall and her and her assistant  came out there too.  They said they had noticed we had a man helping coach the girls ( Tori's dad)  They said region rules say that we have to have  woman coach the girls.  I didn't know, but it makes sense.  So I said OK, we will talk to him.
Tori showed up right before 11:00.  I could tell when she walked in the door that she was not in a good mood.  She said she felt awful cause she had a sinus headache and didn't get to bed till late the night before. Her dad came in right after her and said he was going to help coach the girls.  I had to tell him what the stake lady had said.  Him and Tori were both kind of upset about that.  I told him he could still help coach that day, but just not for region games.
Well the game started and Tori was out there playing.  She made a wild pass to one of the girls and the ball was picked up by the other team.  Her dad hollered at her to get the ball back and she got really mad at him.  She called for a sub, then came and grabbed her purse and coat and left.  Her dad and I were just sitting there with our mouths hanging open.  The other girls came in out at the quarter and said "where is Tori?"  (they really counted on her to help the team...she is definitely the best player on the team) I told them she wasn't feeling well.  I think her dad was pretty embarrassed by the way she had acted and said he was going to go see what was wrong with her.
The girls were behind by quite a bit at this point but were playing their guts out.  Abbi and Brielle both made a couple of baskets but the other team had a couple of real good players that just ran circles around us.
Elizabeth was just so excited to play and I had been subbing her in for the girls when they got tired.  This is when it got good. The girls kept passing her the ball, then opening up a clear path for her to dribble in and shoot the ball.  The girls on the other team caught on and were leaving it wide open for her.  Everyone was cheering her on.  She just doesn't have the strength to get the ball to the rim, but she was having a pretty good time trying.  It really ended the game on a happy note.  I was so proud of my girls.  On the way out, Lorna (Elizabeth's mom) told me how much that meant to her that the girls would be so kind to Elizabeth.  Those are the kind of things that make basketball worth playing...I mean really...who cares if you win or lose...this is what I will remember.
(Tori text me later that day and apologized for leaving the game...said we probably better get someone else to coach.   I was sad to hear that...I hate to see her end on that note.)

No comments: