Monday, February 17, 2014

 I got to spend a really fun day with my sisters on Saturday.  We met at Teina's house and it was  great to see her new kitchen.  They have remodeled the whole thing with new cupboards, pretty granite counter top, and new stove.  They put new wood flooring in too that really looks great. I wish  I would have taken some pictures of everything.  I'm so happy for her.  She's waited a long time for this! She has the secretary all fixed up so nice too and filled with all her pretty things.  It made me want to get busy and do something with the furniture we got from mum and daddy and from Kelley's folks.  It's just sitting out there in the garage waiting for us.
We went up to Tai Pan...(just down the street from Teina's house) and shopped around there for a while.  I was looking for a mirror for the living room and it was sure nice to have my sisters there to help me decided.   ( I kind of have a problem that way)  I found a pretty one that I think will go real nice in there. 
After we finished there, we went over to Chile's for lunch.  It was sure good to have that time to  visit and catch up on each other's lives.  After lunch, we went back to Teina's house for a little birthday party for me!  Teina had made a yummy cake and they all spoiled me with such sweet thoughtful presents.  I'm just the luckiest girl ever to have such wonderful sisters!  
Brenda was getting a new journal to copy and it just happened to start on the day I was born.  She read what daddy had written that day.  It sounded like mum had had some trouble with the pregnancy (she was 40 when I was born) but came through it like a trooper.  Brenda had sent us a little piece from the journal earlier that same year that talked about mum getting up there on the roof and helping daddy put the shingles on it.  (she must have been 5 months pregnant at the time)  Daddy said she would nail them down as fast as he could put them in place.  Ha!  mum was the best! I love how Mum and daddy would work side by side on most everything they did.
Anyway, daddy told how he took her to the hospital in the middle of the night, but then had to leave her to go do the milk route.  It was a Sunday, so he came home and told the older kids they had better skip Sunday school that day because mum was having the baby.  After the milk route, he went back to the hospital and I came soon after that.  He said I looked just like Teina when she was born (I remember him saying in the journal when Teina was born that she was kind of unfortunate looking...Ha!)  He was really grateful that mum and I were both doing fine.  He said they had thought all along that I was going to be a boy so they hadn't thought of any names for a girl. I remember mum telling me it took them about two weeks to come up with my name!  
Candice and I watched the old home movies Larry had put on DVD the other day.  It went from the time Bruce was about 1 to when I was 4.  They were so great.  It just brings this whole journal to life.  It's so interesting to see how mum had made so many darling little matching dresses for us and always had our hair fixed in perfect ringlets. She was an amazing mother!   Those movies are a hoot to watch and sure filled my heart with love and gratitude for my good family.  We sure did have a fun time...from being pulled on the sled to rolling Easter eggs down the hill, to playing in the irrigation water.  It didn't take anything to entertain us...there was always something fun to do.  Kind of makes me feel sad for kids these days.  Life is so different now.



 After our little party, we headed over to the antique show at the Weber county fairgrounds.  I love looking at that old stuff.  I took a picture of this cute table just in case Kelley wanted to make me something purty. (hint hint)
It's interesting to see so many of the things that we remember having as a child or things that mum and daddy had had.  I guess  that means we are getting to be antiques too.
Glad to be able to grow old with my dear sisters.  Love them to pieces.

No comments: