Wednesday, February 1, 2012

We had another fun day on Saturday. 
After chatting about what was going on with the house, ( some new really ridiculous problems....the bank wants Boyd to fix up the out buildings before he can get the loan...like fixing the greenhouse  roof, and removing the lead paint on the garage....really?  They said if someone should eat the paint off the garage it would be toxic.  Ha Ha Ha...is this bank for real?  Anyway, Boyd is trying to reason with them and hopefully get things moving forward.) we decided we needed to really finish up in the rooms we have just been kind of moving things around in.  So we finished up in the north bedroom upstairs...then went into mums bedroom.  That has been our storage room for all the DI stuff and other stuff we didn't want to deal with.
All of the scrap books and picture albums were in there.  We divided them up and each took a few home to get the pictures out of the we wanted.
We had set aside mum's floss for another time, so we decided to tackle that.  It was pretty funny when we went through each color, then realized after we had picked the bigger pieces, that we were dividing up little pieces of string!  Ha!  We didn't care!  Just fun to be able to spend this time together.

We went out in the back room and cleaned out those cupboards too.  Found these cool iron on patterns we had used....probably about 50 years ago!  It was neat to find ones that we remembered stitching.  This was the first sewing thing I can remember mum teaching me how to do....and probably started my love of stitchery.   She would let us pick what ever pattern we wanted  (she had a lot of them!) then she would iron it onto the flour sack dish cloths (the best towels!) for us.  Then she would get us a hoop, needle and some floss. 
I remember her sitting with me, patiently teaching me the different stitches ...back stitch, lazy daisy, french knots, and cross stitch.  We made a simple cross stitch picture in Merry Miss class (I was about 11)  that said "I will bring the light of the gospel into my home"   and mum made it into a pillow for my bed.  That probably started my obsession.


 Teina made these wonderful reprints for us from some special pictures that were hanging in the house...I  know it wasn't easy...they were not in good shape...but the copies turned out great!  Thanks so much for doing that for us!
 This is daddy when he was 1.
 This was a painting Kay Holman did of daddy on his horse.  She is a wonderful artist that  was a good friend to my parents and still lives just down the street from them. 
 These are a few of my favorite pictures I got out of the albums mum had put together...
 So cute! Love those matching outfits!
She had this great picture of Kelley's mom and dad

This was a good one of daddy's 80th birthday party

This is how I like to remember Christmas

 Katie was like a second mother for KC... which formed a bond that has just grown sweeter and stronger over the years.
Candice on her Baptism day....so sweet!

Ha!  I was tickled to come across this one...Yes!  I was the Providence dairy princess!  I still remember how I loved that hot pink dress mum made for me!

Kate with Candice and Denise.  They are just a month apart in age and had lots of fun growing up together.

2 comments:

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

You are so good at reminiscing! I love that every time I read a post, it reminds me of very similar experiences in my life. Tonight, it was the embroidery and flour sack dishtowels and the Merrie Miss pillow. Do you still have yours? I do!

Angie said...

I am so glad you girls get to have these fun times together. My mom and I got laughing over the floss. She was telling me how cute you guys were. Does everyone have a red? ha ha I love it! So awesome that you guys get to go through it all. All those pictures bring back tons of memories.