Monday, February 6, 2012

So, that happened...

A few things from this last week. 
 First of all, my adorable grand kids...  they got their package!


Yeah!  Jammies fit!

Camille took Olivia to register for school next year.  I can't believe it...she's going to kindergarten! 
They gave her this t-shirt and she is really excited about it!  "Grandma!  My school has a library and the library is IN the school!" ( She told me that 4 times!)  She was really happy about that!  Thank you  Camille for helping her to love the library!


 Her hair is gorgeous!  I was thinking about how her hair came in at first...  still one of my favorite pictures!

 What in the world?...We will be coming right down there to regulate!

Sam's jammies fit too! ( I think they might be on backwards..buttons in the back)  He is getting to be such a big boy!  Sure am missing those kids!
So a few funny things happened ( funnier now than at the time)  Lizzy has been acting kind of strange lately...this picture...not so unusual...she loves to roll around on the grass and dirt and pooh and what ever else is out there.  I had to brush her down good before she could come back in the house...then I wished I hadn't let her in...she came down stairs and threw up on the stairs...then came over and threw up on my yarn.  ( I had been working on a baby blanket and it was about half done) .  It was like watching slow motion and we couldn't do anything to stop it.   NO NO NO! Lizzy!  but it was too late.  How do you wash puke out of yarn? 
Saturday was such a nice day, we decided to go over to Willow pond and fish for a bit. 
First, I went to a wedding shower for Ryan B's wife.  She is really sweet and friendly.  It was nice to see a lot of friends from the old ward and get to visit a while.  Sure miss the weekly association with them.
Anyway, we went over to the pond and fished for a while.  It was sunny, but when the wind blew it was pretty cold, so we didn't stay too long.
It made me anxious for spring and fishing with my boys again.
(I know Kelley says I've been banned from the boat because of a few comments I made ( alright, the only criteria of being nice, necessary or true was the true part, so I probably shouldn't have made the comment about how they didn't really need the fish counter they were considering buying when we were at Pro Bass shop)  but I hope he will reconsider when it gets warm enough to go....please?  Sorry?



Ok, so another crazy thing happened  on Sunday morning.  ( I hope these dumb things don't come in threes)  I had got up early to get ready for church.  I had to put the numbers up for the hymns, so I figured I had to be early enough to do that.  Well I was all ready by 8:30 and remembered I was going to make a marinade for the flank steak we were going to have for dinner.  I thought I had plenty of time, so I got it all put together except for the tomato sauce.  I found a can in the back of the cupboard and went to open it.  As soon as I snapped the can opener down, it exploded!  It was like something you would see in the movies...it just went everywhere...but mostly on me.  All over my face, hair, and my white sweater... ( just realized it was all over the kitchen ceiling this morning!) 
 I screamed and just stood there dripping tomato sauce for a few seconds, then realized I HAD to be at church in about 10 minutes, so I ran upstairs and tried to clean off my face and hair.  I had to wash the front of my hair cause it was just dripping with sauce.  And I was scared I was going to get botulism through the pores in my face, so I scrubbed my face down too.
Oh and in the mean time, I had stuck my sweater in the sink and scrubbed all the tomato sauce off...I couldn't really believe it actually came out!  Then I threw it in the dryer and turned it on high!
I blow dried my hair and redid my make up.  By this time, it was about 10 to 9.  I checked my sweater and it was.....almost dry, so I just threw it on and ran out the door.
I think Kelley could tell I was a bit flustered when I walked into the church!  He gave me a hug though and we laughed about it.  Then brother Binns helped me get the  hymn numbers up quick and I plopped into my seat just as bishop got up to conduct.
I felt super self conscious standing up there leading the music though...I was pretty sure there was still tomato sauce on my somewhere.  ( I actually found some big splots of it back in my hair when I got home from church  Ha!)
Then to top it off, Vicky had asked me if I would substitute for her in Primary.  I was like "sure!"  Then when I got in there I realized it was the sunbeam class.  Usually, I would prefer the sunbeam class, but this class had 9 kids in it and one of them was Colton. 
 I do love this little boy...you just can't help it!  ("Hi Keddy!  Hi Keddy!)  He is so full of energy though...I really believe he can't stop himself from being naughty. He would not sit on the chair form more than 3 seconds....no exageration.  Opening exercises were  pretty funny when I look back on it now..at the time, not so much. 
There was another little girl that was kind of sick with a runny nose that wanted to sit on my lap the whole time and cried when I tried to put her on a chair, and then there were these twin boys that were quite a handful too...just typical boy.  Anyway, there was a good little girl sitting next to me, then Colton was sitting ( not really) next to her.  All the sudden, this little girl starts screaming..."Colton hit me!"...Even as she said that, he kept punching her.  I tried to grab him to make him stop, but he ran away...so I tried to get up and chase him, but that meant I had to put the runny nose girl down, so then she started crying too.  HA!   It was wild in there!
The presidency and music leader were trying to help too, but could see I needed some help, so they went and got Andrea to help me.
The regular teacher showed up just before we went to class.  Oh man I was glad.
This woman has the patience of Job....totally kind, loving and patient with each of the kids.  And so cute with them!   She had a whole bag of fun things and games and animals for them to play with.  Most all of the kids responded to her and would do what she asked....except Colton and runny nose girl. ( I think she just didn't feel very good) 
The teacher had a great system worked out where the helper ( that's me) would give gold fish crackers to any of the kids that were sitting on their chair.  They started out really good and would sit on their chair while she gave them the lesson and I quietly passed out the gold fish.  Then the twins got a little greedy and jumped up and started yelling " I want 5! I want 5! "  Apparently one for each hand was not enough.  I tried to explain how they had to be sitting in their chairs in order to get any gold fish.  But when the other kids thought the twins were going to get more gold fish than they were, there was a mutiny and they attacked me and the bag of gold fish. 
Even the teacher was  starting to lose it now, but still gave them the cutest lesson about how Heavenly Father loves them.    She is my new hero.
By the time class was over, it was pretty much mass hysteria.  The little girl with the runny nose was laying by the door crying " I wan't daddy!' and the rest of the kids were running around the room hitting each other with the stuffed animals the teacher had brought....Not the look your going for when mom and dad come to pick up the kids...but oh well, that's the way it was.
It was funny though cause after church, I was in the hall talking to Carol and Kim and I feel these little arms wrap around my legs.  I looked down and it was runny nose girl. I bent down and she gave me a big hug and said "I love you!'  I guess that's what gives the teacher the strength and courage to come back and spend two hours wrangling those kids, week after week...just love.
I went home with a doozer of a headache, but a sweet feeling of love in my heart.




3 comments:

stacey said...

ha...wondered where you escaped too. sounds like they loved you! what a sweet job!

Angie said...

Wow what an adventure I am so sorry about the marinade!I hope it tasted good after all of that. I was the sunbeam teacher right out of high school and had 9 kids too. I had twirly dress girl and boy who never leaves my lap. It was a challenge but when they were good it made it all worth it;)sweet of you to help out!

kat said...

Mom, that was AWESOME!!! I'm sorry I missed the tomato paste catastrophe, it would have been WAY more funny if we were all there! You're a trooper mom, I love you!
PS- I'm pretty sure the only POO that is spelled with a H is winnie the POOH? I may be wrong though...Ang? back me up??