Thursday, August 26, 2010

32 YEARS!!!

Kelley and I celebrated (well not exactly) our 32nd wedding anniversary this past week.So young and clueless

This cake was pretty fabulous...at the first reception in the yard...the next day after being transported for the reception in salt lake ...not so much.

I love this picture...Kelley looks like a giant compared to my family.
That's grandma Tibbitts and Aunt Dyrene and Uncle Mel.
They've been gone for many years now, but I remember them and this day like it was yesterday.



My Aunt Pat and Uncle Clyde sat at the book.
Amazing people and definitely my favorites.











When I say we didn't exactly celebrate, well it's because Kelley was at Flaming Gorge on scout camp with the Priests.
I know he felt bad about not being here for our anniversary...missing couples Bunko...I don't think he felt so bad about. ( Candice came with me and we had a lot of fun!...Thanks Candice!)
Anyway, I had an epiphany while thinking about why I wasn't upset at him for leaving me alone on this monumental day.
Well I have to go back to where he was getting ready to go. He was so excited! Fishing has got to be his favorite thing to do, and going with his good friends from the ward made it that much funner....and going to Flaming Gorge...well that was just like a dream come true!
Anyway, Wednesday night , when I was sitting there alone, I started feeling sorry for myself. But then just as quickly, I felt totally happy and at peace. I went and got out some old photo albums of our life together over the past 32 years and started thumbing through them.
We have had a wonderful life together! Looking back over the years of bringing each one of our children into this world and the joys of raising them...and the many wonderful times Kelley and I have had together...well I just felt very blessed.
I thought about Kelley and how much fun he must be having and I was happy for him! I decided that this is what real love is. Not the kind of love that you have when you are first married and are all giddy and your emotions are all over the place....( I remember crying a lot and being kind of selfish and bratty.)...
But a deeper kind of love that comes from years of laughing, loving, working together, sacrificing together, being so poor together, planning and creating together, surprising each other, compromising, caring for each other, over looking each other's faults, praying together, grieving together, struggling together, learning together, having fun together, crying together, bringing out the best in each other, raising and enjoying our family together, seeing the world together, worrying about each other...(mostly me, Kelley doesnt worry much) giving and receiving, lots more laughing...that's something we have never been short on, hoping and yearning for our childrens happiness together, and just getting to REALLY KNOW each other...sharing all of our deepest hopes, dreams and desires.
This love is what you have when you want more for the happiness of that person than you do for yourself.
It hasn't happened overnight...it's something that has grown and developed over the years and through all of life's experiences that we've shared with each other.
Anyway, I'm grateful for the wonderful years Kelley and I have had together. We've been through a lot...many ups and downs, but I think that is what bonds you...going through these things together...knowing you can always count on this person to be by your side...to be your friend, your companion, your love, your advocate. Someone who builds you up and wants you to reach your potential and be everything you were sent here on earth to be.


We celebrated the other day with a trip to Strawberry...Perfect evening! Water was like glass... perfect temperature, fish were biting, great company, some yummy homemade salsa and chips, amazing sunset and then this beautiful full moon came up. Yup that's the moon behind us...it was light as day!
Doesn't get any better than that!
Looking forward to whatever God has in store for our next 32 years...and our eternity together!

2 comments:

Angie said...

That was a great post! Your such a cute couple. I am glad you have had a great 32 years together.That moon is so awesome I thought it was the sun for sure!

kat said...

You guys make it kind of tough to beat. I'm so grateful for you and your example of an amazing marriage. You are so lucky! xoxo