Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Nifty at Fifty















































































Not really so nifty, but what could have been a real depressing birthday was changed into probably the best birthday I've ever had.
I have been dreading this birthday...waking up in a cold sweat thinking about what I have done with my life because it's mostly over...50 years old! 50 has always sounded so old to me...kind of like that was the line someone crosses into the geriatric years. AARP is sending me welcome letters. I still feel like I did when I was 30 on the inside. And for the most part, I feel good on the outside too. I can see little things creeping up on me...like the vision problems, hearing, lots of sleepless nights...the aches and pains that weren't there 5 years ago. But I sure can't complain. I have been blessed with very good health all of my life!
Anyway, I was thinking I would just have a low key celebration with my family. Friday night, Kelley and I were just watching TV and the next thing I know, he is gone. I figured he had gone over to his Dad's or something. Then a little while later there was a knock at the door and I go open it and there stands Katie. She had been her a week before so I sure didn't think she would be able to be home for my birthday. What a great surprise!.

We had a fun day saturday, got up early and went to the gym, where she gave me a killer workout on my legs. She really knows what she's doing and would be a great personal trainer. Anyway, then we went and got our nails done,(which was a whole other story...very funny!) and went shopping. It was great for me to be able to spend some time with her. Katie is a marathon shopper. Just like her Grandma. I wish so much that she was here so she could see how much Katie turned out like her. Their personalities are a lot alike. Fiesty, witty and funny, steadfast. On second thought, I'm sure that she CAN see her and she is very proud of her.
Back to the birthday...so saturday afternoon, Kelley said he needed to get some things from the distribution center...and would I go with him. I said ok. We got the things he needed, then he said he wanted to go over to deseret book to look for a picture. I was like ok but we better hurry cause we were supposed to meet the family downtown at PF Changs for dinner. Well he was talking on his phone, and wandering around, and disappearing for long periods of time, till I was just like, "We have got to go now!" Well we get out in the parking lot and he was still talking on the phone and really taking his time getting to the car. It was freezing cold and he was moving so slow so I was dragging him by the arm. We finally got going and he missed the exit to go downtown. He said he would get on the next one, then Candice called him and said her car wouldn't start, so we would have to go back to the house and pick them up. He turned around and drove incredibly slow back to the house.
When we walked in the kitchen, I about fell over. The house was all decorated and full of all our friends and family. I was totally surprised. I don't know how they pulled it off without me even suspecting anything, but they did it.
They had gotten a great dinner from Rubios for everybody and a wonderful carrot cake. I think everybody had a good time visiting and eating. I was reminded again how very blessed I am to have been surrounded with wonderful family and friends. I am truly grateful.

Sunday was another great day. We started our schedule of 9:00 church this week. It was great to have Katie with us at church. She bore her testimony which was wonderful to hear. While she was up there, I had a sudden realization that my 50 years here have not been meaningless beacuse I have a wonderful husband who is my dearest friend and together we have raised four amazing delightful, wonderful children. Could there be anything better than that? That was what I was put here for. That is where I find my joy...being the wife, the mom and now the Grandma!.
After church we opened presents. Kelley surprised me with a card with a picture of a beautiful beach and on it he had drawn two little stick figures on the sand and wrote "you" and "me" and a carribean cruise. I about fell off my chair. He is so good to me. I don't deserve it.

I sure do thank my family for all their love and support and for all they did to make my birthday so special. Looking forward to 50 more wonderful years of joy in the journey!

3 comments:

lessdirtydirt said...

You deserve all that and way more mom. You're the best thing in my life.

Angie said...

Wow What a suprise! That was so nice of your family to do that for you. Congrats on your 50th year of life. I was just reading in grandma's diary when candy was born and how sick you were. I am glad you made it through so I can know you so much longer! Happy Day:)

Camille said...

Wow mom! I'm crying just reading your story about your party! Sure wish I could have been there. You are an amazing writer, just like your Daddy! I'm so glad you started a blog! It is a great lifeline for me. Happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!!