Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Well here it is, the summer is over.  It's time to pull up all the plants in the garden and get ready for chilly temperatures.  That's kind of a problem though when the garden is still going strong and giving us lovely basil, tomatos, peppers and kale.  But we knew there were going to be freezing temperatures this week so we picked everything we could, then Kelley cleaned out the garden.
 
Candice treated us to many batches of wonderful pesto from this Basil plant.
 
 
This cherry tomato plant was pretty amazing this year.  It was just loaded with tomatos and they were just like candy to munch on.
We also had enough tomatos to do another big batch of this wonderful sweet pepper relish.  I found this recipe online...Harry and Davids Sweet pepper relish... and it's really just yummy.  I want to eat it on everything.

 We did carrots and potatos this year which has been really neat (some of the carrots were pretty mutated cause I planted them too close together and didn't thin them Ha! They still tasted good!) It was nice to just be able to go out to the garden and get some potatoes for Sunday dinner!  So what we haven't eaten, we left in the ground and we will get them out in the next little while.
 My hanging baskets are still just blooming like crazy too so I'm just going to leave them up till we get a hard frost.  Then I think I'll try to bring them into the garage ...they are just to pretty to let go!


Gosh I sure do hate to see the summer end.  I don't know why, but this year it seems like everything has just been extra beautiful this year.  Not just in the garden and in the flowers, but in the sunrises and sunsets...our amazing mountains and lakes. the plains of Nebraska and Kansas that I have never seen before were so beautiful with their neat rows of corn that went on forever... the warm beach weather with an abundance of beautiful shells and birds, and the fall leaves were nothing short of spectacular this year.  It just fills my heart to the brim with gratitude for this amazing world that we live in.  We are very blessed.

No comments: