Thursday, August 16, 2012

So today I stepped way out of my comfort zone...so far from it, I wasn't even on the same planet.
A few days ago, I got a call from Nancy, telling me about how she had been talking to someone who was in this singing group called Salt Lake Choral Artists and they said they really liked it.They said auditions were coming up and to give it a try.  I was just like.....hmmmmmm. no.  I don't sing that well.  Then she assured me that they didn't want any stand out voices...just ones that could blend with others.  I can blend.
So I went online to sign up and get an audition time.  They had me coming in at 8:30 Thursday. evening.  That was fine!  Then I got a call from Nancy the next day saying she had heard from the audition scheduler that he needed to move all the late appointments up to early afternoon.  This was not OK.  I had been planning for over a month  and was very much looking forward to getting together with my sisters on Thursday. So I figured it must be a sign and I shouldn't be trying out. ( I was seriously having diarrhea just from the anxiety of thinking about doing this anyway so I was relieved) 
Then I got to thinking about it and remembered a few years ago when I promised myself that when an opportunity came along that would help me grow, I would do it!  I thought...don't be a wimp...You can do this!  and seriously, what did I have to lose.  So I got the audition schedulers phone number and called and said I would still like to audition if there was another time I could come.They were super nice and said I could come at 6:30 or 7:00 and they would still be there. 
So now I needed to find a song to sing.  They said I could do anything...a hymn, folk song, popular song, whatever.  I went over a bunch of songs and felt pretty good about "In the garden".  It's always been one of my favorites.  I like to listen to the CD Angie made and sing along ...I always get emotional when I sing that one or 'Home" though, because that's what we sang at mum's funeral.  but I thought...yeah!  I can sing that one! 
Then this morning while I was waiting for my sisters to get here, I thought I would run over it without the CD.  Oh dear, I don't sound very good without my sisters!  All the beautiful harmony is what makes it sound good!   But it was kind of late to be thinking of a new song, so I just decided to go for it.
I had just the best day with my sisters.  They got here about 10:30...(how nice to have them come clear to my house)  We visited for a while, then got  busy planning the family reunion.  We decided we just wanted it to be a fun time for everybody, so we thought about going up in the mountains or to a lake.  We decided Pine view was about in the middle for all of us, so I got online and  found their website to reserve a camp ground.  It came up and said that wasn't going to work, so I called a phone number it had listed to make a reservation.  I got on the phone with probably the dumbest man alive.  I told him what we wanted to do and he kept saying "Now where do you want to go...Pinewood?  I was like NO!  Pine view reservoir...up Ogden canyon. He said...I can't find anything listed under that name...I don't think there is a place with that name.  This was after waiting at least 20 minutes for him to try to bring it up on his computer...then he said he wanted to try to bring it up on his phone.  Oh. my. goodness!.    My sisters could hear him on the phone and by this time, we were just laughing at him.  Yup...there really is a place called pine view.  wow.  I was just ready to tell him to forget it and he says " OH here it is!  really?  He said, " I cant really make a reservation for you though.  ( really?  this is the number listed under campsite reservations)   He said he had found a direct number to Anderson Cove...(a camp area at pine view) and he would  give that to me. I called that number and talked to a lady who told me all about what was available.  She said it was first come first serve though, so we need to get there early.    We thought it would be fun if Kelley could take the boat there and have everyone fish and have rides.  We planned what we would do for lunch and some other things we wanted to do. I am excited about starting our own new family traditions! 
Then we started watching the VHS movie we had made years ago of all mum and daddy's super 8 movies they had taken.  We had found a bag of movies when we were cleaning everything out that had not been put on the video, so we wanted to watch the old video to see which ones were on it so we didn't duplicate when we made a CD of all the movies.
  It was so fun to watch these old movies!   We decided once again that we truly did  have a charmed childhood.   How blessed we were to have been raised by amazing parents in a home filled with love and laughter. 
We sat there and watched and laughed and remembered.  Before we knew it, it was after 2:00.  We ran over to Cafe Rio and had lunch, then came back and tried to get the projector going so we could watch some of the super 8 movies.  Oh man, I couldn't remember how I had done it before.  We got out the manual and went step by step...still not working.  Then Leslie saw a slot we were supposed to get the film in that we had been missing. Then it worked like a charm.  We watched several movies, then all the sudden, it  wouldn't rewind.  I tried everything, but it wouldn't go.  Now when I even tried to play them forward, it wouldn't work. I don't know what happened, but it wasn't working.  We decided to see if Larry W. could look at it and see if it's fixable. 
It  was getting late, so my sisters headed for home.  It was sure nice to spend the day with them again.  I have really missed them.
I was surely having an anxiety attack thinking about this audition, so when Kelley and Kc got home, they gave me a blessing.  He blessed me that I would be able to sing like I never had before.  This could be either very good or very bad.  HA!  Either way, I felt a lot more at ease, and not so worried about it.
I got to the church where they were doing the  auditions...( a very cool old church down town that looks like a castle) and there were about 10 guys riding skate boards out in front of the building.  I went to the wrong door, and one said "I think this is where you go in"...then he went and opened the door for me.  As I went in he said "good luck...whatever your doing!"  Surprising and nice!
I walked down stairs and into a big room with a piano and a woman and a man sitting there very engrossed in conversation.  I stood there and waited till they finished their conversation, then walked in.  I told them who I was and the lady introduced herself, Jane, and the guy Brady ( he is the director of the choir)  We talked for a few minutes, then he said he wanted to find out what my range was.  He had me doing scales in some interesting and different ways I had done before.  They listened  and gave me tips on breathing and making  a bigger sound than I had ever made before.  I am not a loud singer, but what he had me doing, really made a big difference! I was kind of surprised at what was coming out of my mouth!  After they figured what my range was, he asked me what I had prepared to sing.  I told them 'In the Garden"  Jane said " I love that song.  That made me feel better!  I had him hit an A for me and I went for it.  I got a little emotional at first... it sounded so quiet without my sisters, but I kept going and it got better.   When I got done, He said, ' I think you are really going to enjoy this choir.!  Ha!  I wanted to kiss him!
He had me sight read a line of music and that seemed pretty easy. Then just like that, it was over.  He said to fax my audition form to them and they would be in touch with me.  I was just floating out of there!  I am so excited about it... glad I didn't give in to my fears and anxiety.They do.  :)This dream was plenty big enough.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I hope my sister's and I can have as much fun as you guy's always do! I am so proud that you went for it. I was having anxiety for you just reading about it! Great job!