Friday, December 10, 2010

I've been thinking about this special lady...I always keep her memory in my heart, but at this time of year, the feelings come back stronger and clearer.
It's been seven years since she left this earth but in some ways it feels like yesterday....
She had so many health problems all through her life, but never really complained. She would drag herself out of bed when we would go over there to visit, trying to appear cheerful even though she was in an incredible amount of pain.
The only time I ever saw her break down and cry though was the early fall day I went over
there and asked her how she was doing...she had been into the doctor for some tests for terrible pain she had been having in her back and hips. (She was no stranger to pain after going through many back surgeries) We were standing there in her living room and she started telling me, kind of matter of factly what the doctor had said...then she just started to cry. It was pancreatic cancer. I held her and cried with her. I think she knew then that she would not be getting better this time.
I remember the day she asked Katie and I if we would find her a new dress. We were thinking she just wanted something new to wear..."Of Course! What do you want it to look like?" "Well, I'd like a pretty new temple dress to be buried in" That was a tough one. Kate and I went everywhere(seriously every white clothing store in the valley) looking for the perfect, most beautiful dress and finally found one that looked like 'her'. She said she loved it and thanked us for all of our efforts.
She was about the toughest lady I ever knew and endured the short remainder of her life with dignity and grace...loving and teaching us till the end.
Another special memory I have is being asked to be the one to put on her temple veil and tie the bow before they closed the casket. It was a tender moment and a sweet blessing for me to be able to say goodbye to her this way.
Last night at bunko, the ladies were talking about their mother-in-laws. One related a story of how she had run into her mother-in-law at a nail salon and she acted like she didn't even know her! Can you imagine that? Then several others said they had never had a very good relationship with their mother-in-law either....I know you hear awful stories about mother-in-laws, but I was surprised to hear how many of them felt this way.
I felt sad for them... that is a relationship that I hold very dear! I am very grateful that I was blessed with a wonderful mother-in-law...she has been such a big part of my families lives. She had a unmeasurable impact and influence on each one of us that we will never forget.
Love and miss you Maxine!

2 comments:

kat said...

Candice told me I'd need a kleenex for this one, she should have said the whole box. Grandma was like no other. I would be proud to be 1/2 the woman she was. Miss her everyday.

Angie said...

That was really sweet to read and what an honor to do that for her. I bet you do miss her a lot. When I met her I knew she was a very sweet woman.