Monday, August 26, 2013

Yesterday I didn't wake up for church till ten to nine.  Wow that's never happened before.  I guess I was more tired than I thought.  I threw myself together and got there in time to hear Brady W talk.  He did a great job.  He looks so much like Bryan...even his mannerisms and the way he talks are like his dad. 
I had to run back home during Sunday school because I forgot some of the receipts from the luau.  I came back for Young Women, hoping to find Charity in there ready to teach.  She did not show up.  So we decided to give the girls a piece of paper and let them write a concern or problem they had with school starting up or just life in general...then we would gather them and read them anonymously and try to find some answers for them.  What  we read about broke my heart.
These girls are facing some pretty tough things.  Many of them worry about fitting in, not having any friends, and even being bullied. One said she wanted to be with the popular crowd, but felt like those friends are fake.  Others were worried that they wouldn't be able to do well at school, wouldn't be good enough, and several said they didn't know how they could find time to do everything that's expected of them and still have time to come to church or young womens. Their thoughts were deep and unexpected.
Before class, I was asking the girls how school was going for them so far.  There were a couple of "fine" answers, then I noticed one of the girls  just looking down and really uncomfortable.  I went and sat by her and asked her what was going on.  She said she was not going to go to school anymore.  She said she is going to get her GED, then go on to college classes.  I asked her why and she said she  couldn't handle what was going on in school anymore.  She said she was over her friends and wouldn't go back.  Oh man, this is not OK! 
The last question I read brought me to tears.  This girl said she didn't know if she believed the church was true anymore.  She couldn't understand how a  God that is supposed to love us would let bad things happen to good people and why isn't he answering their prayers?  She said she felt lost.
 I felt the spirit guiding as we tried to answer these  concerns.  Bonnie and Stacey were amazing and the spirit was so strong as we talked about how much Heavenly Father does love us  and is always there for us.  He wants so much for us to turn to Him for help.  We don't know why some are tested so much more than others...  free agency? to make us stronger?  I'm not gonna lie...I've had these same thoughts...not that the church was true, but just wondering why God doesn't intervene when he sees someone who is trying so hard to do what is right  and follow Him have one really difficult thing after another dropped in their lap.  Also  for people who have a righteous desire that they have been praying and pleading for, for years and years and they are never given that blessing.  Why? I've read all the books on enduring with patience,, listened to Michael Wilcox talk about the 4th watch, read the book of Job many times and prayed my guts out, but I still am left wondering why.  I guess that is something I won't understand until I am much wiser.
Anyway, we closed the class with lots of tears...I think everyone could relate in some way to what we were talking about and either felt compassion for others or comfort  themselves by the spirit that we felt there. Pretty amazing the way things work out some times.

No comments: