Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Melody of Love


I just wanted to say that I really love that K.C. loves to play the piano! He hasn't had any real piano lessons except from me trying to teach him what I know ...which is not a lot. He has a good ear for it though and is doing really well. I found this book of worlds famous piano classics at mom's and brought it home and he has been working his way through it. I really admire that! They are pretty advanced and he is doing a great job with them. He is also working on some really pretty arrangements of some of my favorite church songs. "How Great Thou Art", "Oh My Father" "I'll go where you want me to go" I love that we share this same love and appreciation for beautiful music.

We have had some great-some horrifying experiences playing the piano in sacrement meeting. We played a duet of "Love at home" a few years ago that went just fine. Then we played
"Joseph Smith's first prayer" that one was harder and took a lot of work. But it was fun practicing together. This last time we played "Praise to the Man". It waas pretty hard but we felt ok about it when we got there. Then when we got up there to play it was like the worst nightmare. We sat down and everything looked foreign. It looked like K.C. was going to be starting to play in the wrong place, so I said " I think that is wrong!" So he came down an octive lower and as soon as we started we could tell it was wrong. So we stopped and I said a very intense prayer in my head. Then we started again ...everything was clear, and we played it just fine. I felt so bad cause I totally messed K.C. up. That has happened one other time when I was playing for the ward choir to sing in sacrement meeting. I totally lost my place in the music and didn't catch up till almost the end of the song. Oh well, I hope I didn't warp K.C. so much that he won't ever play with me again. I've mentioned that Jaydene wants another piano piece from us and he is just like "uhhh maybe it would be easier to play alone." Oh Man. Can't say that I blame him. Anyway I'm just really proud of him. Not just for his piano playing skills, but for just being the really great kid that he is. I don't know what we ever did to deserve him, but he is a pretty special person and I feel so blessed to be his mom.

3 comments:

Angie said...

That is great that he keeps at it. Me and Lisa had endless lessons and denise kind of taught her and phil to play. Phil is alot like KC in the way that he wants to learn more and will sit at the piano till he figures it out or we all go crazy!Tell him to keep at it maybe he will be the piano player in the ward on his mission:)

kat said...

Boy Killa!!! I can't even begin to describe how much I love the boy. My favorite and I miss him every day! hive him hugs and kisses for me :)

Colleen/Grandma/Mom said...

K.C. is so good--I thought he'd had lessons for years!! And I heard all of those performances and never picked up on a tragedy. I think you're exaggerating a bit--they were wonderful!!