Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Happy Anniversary!

Today is Mum and Daddy's 61st wedding anniversary. Although Daddy has been gone for almost 15 years, this is still how I picture them...walking around in the yard, looking over what they had accomplished that day, making plans for future flower gardens, and holding hands.
What an amazing example of a wonderful marriage I have had, and I try to pattern our marriage after theirs.
Daddy was a kind, gentle, humble man and I always wanted to find someone just like him to marry. I think I got pretty lucky when Kelley came into my life. He has a lot of the same qualities as my dad...hard working, loves to serve others, has a great testimony of the gospel, loves his family and would do anything for them, has a great sense of humor, and is gentle yet strong! He also has the same attitude about talking in church as my dad did. My dad even skipped out (decided a horse ride sounded like a better plan) on his own mission farewell to avoid talking in church! Kelley has resigned himself to the fact that he can't get out of speaking in church, but still doesn't like it!
I loved the way my dad treated my mom. They were never mushy with each other, but you could tell they really enjoyed each other's company and it was rare to find them apart. My mom and dad never argued in front of us. They may have had disagreements, but I never heard my mom or dad raise their voice or say something unkind to each other.
My dad would do anything for my mom. She would say" Del, what do you think about putting in a new flower bed right here in the back yard (no room in front...already full of flowers!)...We could start a rose garden!" So my dad would dig the foundation, form it up with boards ( he always had a never ending supply of whatever he needed in his garage.. (he was the true king of saving EVERYTHING). Then he would mix up some cement and pour a nice little edge for the new rose garden. Then they would work together in getting the dirt ready and picking out and planting the roses. My mom was always sweet and appreciative...I bet that's why daddy enjoyed doing nice things for her.
I was reading in their life history to see what it was like for them when they were courting...this is my mom talking:
"Two years after high school, I married my childhood sweetheart, Reed Bitters who lived across the street. We were happy until one day he was persuaded to join a polygamist group. He had been attending their meetings unknown to me for some time and believed strongly that it was the right thing to do. He wanted me to go with him to Shortcreek, Arizona and live polygamy. Of course I could not go knowing this to be completely against our religion, so he went without me. I received a Temple Annulment six months later, and for the first time was glad we hadn't had any children. The months that followed were sad ones for me, but I kept busy, working at J.C. Penneys and doing church work, and as time went by I knew I had to pick up the pieces and go on.
When the war broke out, I got a job working at Wicks Engineering, packaging radio equipment to send overseas. I worked there until the war ended in 1945. I then took a job working at Singer Sewing Center, which I really enjoyed.

In the meantime, Del, who lived only a block from me, and who used to take me out occasionally during high school, got a call to go on a mission to Tahiti.He came over to tell me goodbye and although I was happy he had accepted the call, it was hard to see him go. He spend a wonderful three years in the islands. When he got home he joined the Marines and spent almost four more years overseas. He saw many of his buddies die, but the Lord spared his life, and I like to think he saved him for me!
We started dating in 1947 and had so many fun times together. He used to do some crazy things like borrowing Ken's car and getting it stuck in the sand at Bear Lake. After sinking deeper and deeper, I knew we were there to stay. We found an empty jeep with the keys in, so we borrowed it and pulled the car out. Then the time we were in the old Model A and went down the steps in front of Old Main. He used to scare me to death! We used to go target shooting, and I got pretty good at hitting the tin cans.
It was November, and Del was working at the Lewiston Sugar Factory. After being engaged for over a year we decided to get married on November 4th, 1948. We went with our families and were married in the Logan Temple.
Marrying into the Braegger Family was to mean a great deal to me and I soon loved them all like my own family. Del's mother was such a sweet special Mom to me. I loved her dearly. The whole family are close and always willing to help each another. I feel very fortunate to be a part of this wonderful family. But best of all, I married the sweetest, kindest man in the world. I'm so thankful he is mine, and love him with all my heart."
I love thinking about them as newlyweds, starting out their lives together. They were both older (mom waited 7 years for him!) when they got married and I imagine that made them appreciate each other even more.
I know my mom is getting anxious to be with my dad again. She has his picture sitting right where she can see it all the time. She tells me quite often how much she misses him and says "doesn't he look handsome in his uniform?"
Won't it be a great reunion when they meet in heaven! I imagine the Lord will present them with their own well earned beautiful mansion surrounded by magnificent flower gardens to tend together for all eternity.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Its fun reading about all of the memories again. I know how much grandma is missing him too. There isn't a day that goes by that she doesn't say something about him. It will be the greatest reunion in heaven!

Lisa - The WagonMaster said...

Hi Paula! It's Lisa. I had to comment because I thought of Grandma and Grandpa all day today as well. I think it says a lot about grandpa that we all still miss him so much and it's been fifteen years! It's gone by so fast, I almost expect him to be in the other room sometimes. Thanks for your memories of them, they truly were an amazing couple and such an example for all of us!